• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clenzoil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, paid an arm and a leg (most I ever paid fer sumthin ya caint swaller) for bottle of Clenzoil. Now what do ya do with it?

Thanks, sse

That is mainly a CLP product........like Breakfree CLP, FP-10, or Mili-Tec.

For Black Powder use, I'd say about all it is good for is lubricating pivoting points and patching thru a bore after it's clean as a preservative.

You can probably use it as a straight cleaner too on any centerfire firearms you have...............but I've found that CLPs usually compromise their "Cleaning" aspect in favore of either "Lube" or metal "Protection".

It's "supposed" to be a good product - but I've been using FP-10 lately for CLP purposes and I've begun to really like it. :redthumb: Much cheaper too. :)

Although I've switched to Ballistol because it supposed to be non-carcinogenic, Clenzoil is probably the best product I've ever used for bore preservative (wiping bore after your favorite cleaning routine) and wiping down exterior, barrels, locks, etc. Makes my shotgun barrels shine too much for turkey hunting! Great stuff! Here's Blackpowder Bob's ranking of preserving lubes in order of effectiveness:
1. Clenzoil
2. Break-Free
3. G-96
4. Ballistol
5. WD-40
:imo: :results:

Never used Break-Free or Ballistol, but I have and use G-96, love the stuff. I am pleased to here your comments about the Clenzoil, similar to what I have heard, but there again someone else will not be as impressed, such as Mark, but then I guess that's what makes a horse race. It is pricey, though, and that's a drawback, but I could change my mind on that once I start with the stuff.

Appreciate the comments, from the both of you.

Regards, sse

Can't say I'm not impressed specifically with Clenzoil - I haven't gotten around to trying any (yet). :) But in general, they tend not to be the best cleaners ......... and for black powder use, natural cleaning products are usually the best anyway. But I sure have no problem with a CLP like Clenzoil, FP-10, etc as a lube and preservative.

Heck, I looked into Clenzoil over a year ago because I saw an add where a childhood friend of mine had endorsed it in a magazine he wrote for. :) I KNOW Larry wouldn't steer me wrong. :winking:

Latest posts

Back