• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning question: wedges vs. barrel bands

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwm

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ah, these darned ol' muzzleloaders...just when I thought I had the itch sufficiently scratched with my recent purchase, another interesting one had to come along...

OK...my experience with traditional muzzleloaders has all been with guns whose barrels are held in place by one or more wedges. For cleaning, I put a length of silicone tubing on the nipple and use it to vacuum hot soapy water in and out of the barrel by pumping with a swabbed cleaning rod. Once in a while I take the barrel off for this, but mostly I do it with the gun assembled. No problems so far.

Now I have my eye on a gun which has the barrel attached by means of two barrel bands. Is it a bad idea to frequently or regularly remove this type of barrel for cleaning? It appears that it would be much more time-consuming than the wedge type barrels. Is my usual barrel-on-the-gun method adequate for all cleaning? I'm always wondering and worrying about moisture and rust between the stock and barrel.

In case it matters, the gun is a Parker Hale .58 model 1861 carbine.

Wedges are intended for barrel removal. Bands are intended to hold the barrel and stock together. Each has a purpose. :idunno:

Actually wedges, bands and pins all serve the same purpose, to hold the barrel in the stock. Some are stronger than others, being bands, wedges then pins in that order, in my experience and they all have to be removed to dismount the barrel.

Less than 30 seconds to remove a barrel held on with bands. Remove ramrod, remove tang screw, depress spring & remove front band, depress spring & remove rear band, lift barrel out of channel. Add a couple of seconds if you have a 3 bander. Absolutely no reason not to remove the barrel for cleaning every time, won't hurt a thing.

I missed the Enfield part. Loosen the band clamping screws as there are no springs to depress. The time is the same.

Back