• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning--help!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronrryan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Last week I shot my 20 Gauge fusil. Cleaned thoroughly, using a mix of Murphy soap, window cleaner, peroxide, and alcohol (70%). This mix new to me, but worked amazingly well. Then swabbed with alcohol, dry patched, and put down some RIG. About four days later I ran a patch down, RUST!!. Operating on the Clean--Dry--Lube principle, I guess I must have failed on the "dry" portion, and lubed a damp bore. One fellow suggested that the use of 70% alcohol is wrong, in that it's so heavy on water the chance of rust is enhanced. No hot water involved I clean at the range, cold water. Id appreciate suggestions, advice. Also what do you-all prefer for bore protection once clean and dry has been achieved? Thanks, Ron in Fla

Try either plain warm water,, or windex and patch dry.
If you want to use alchohol then go with the 91% and again patch until dry.
Any comment I'd make about the "RIG" I'm sure would start a debate,,,,,,,,,,,, I'll leave that for someone else ( :nono: ). :grin:

Clean with tepid water or windshield washer fluid and oil your bore with olive oil. Forget all the witches brews that folks push. They aren't needed and they don't really work.

After a day of shooting and a good cleaning, no matter what I use, I always go back and check it the next day. Most of the time the bore is clean, but every once in a while I'm really glad I went back and checked it.

I clean my guns with Hot water and then alcohol swab to displace any water then dry patches to get any residual moisture out of the bore. I follow up imediately with 10/30 motor oil while the barrel is still warm. The next day I always check the bore by swabbing with a dry patch and then another oil patch. Keeps them bright with no soft rust. I used to use light gun oils but since moving to Ohio I was getting soft rust after a day or two and swithched to motor oil instead. I haven't had any problems with rusty bores since.
Don

...for my caywood wilson...wet patches with formula 409, followed by dry, let sit while tending to the lock, more dry patch, then olive oil...no problems

I think your cleaning fluid sans peroxide is okay, and RIG is an excellent rust protector. However being so thick it's difficult to thoroughly coat the bore. I use alcohol, water and Murphy's, one dry patch, followed up with a WD-40 patch and finally one with Ballistol. Never a rust problem and no fouling. If I'm not going to shoot a particular gun for a month or more I'll also swab with a RIG coated patch.

My suspicion is that you didn't get her dry enough. Hold your used drying patches to your cheek. The skin there is much more sensitive. A even slightly damp patch will feel cool. Then I'd run a WD 40 or similar water displacing oiled patch down. Then use RIG or similar. I don't think there is any thing wrong with your cleaning brew. I've used it my self. I presently use Simple Green detergent for a patch lube and for cleanup for range shooting and putzing around. BJH

For wipeing between shots and range cleaning I use 91% alcohol, windex, or egual parts alcohol-white vinigar and ammonia. I think most problems of after cleaning rust comes not useing enough soap in the water. While plain old water will take care of black powder residue it won't take care of whatever patch lube that is in the bore, which is usually a wax-oil based concoction. To prove this to myself(years ago), I smeared differant patch lube on my hand and found out, just like washing dishes it took a fair amount of detergent to clean my hands!! Based on those findings I always use plenty of soap to clean. Oxi-clean,Dawn, 409,Simple Green or my favotite, Go-Jo hand cleaner(also an awesome range patch lube). I aslo recommend a chammber brush to scrub the breech plug face. After a thorough dry patching I give a liberal coating of a water displacing (WD-40)agent, let it be for a day or so, dry patch again and thoroughly oil. My current favorite oil is 4 parts 5-30 motor oil and 1 part ProLong engine treatment. :yakyak: Hope that gives ya some useful ideas. Just luv me black powder and will try anything to keep'm spotless and rust free :grin:!!! This method works constintally for me... :thumbsup:

Some barrels are more porus than others and it appears as if the moisture is hard to get all removed. I know my old guns can be a bear to get totally dry the first cleaning, so that is why I will check them the next day and the day after that. I have been using Ballistol, with good results. Before the barrel is totally dry I swab with Ballistol(since it is water soluble) and it appears to help allot.

I have found Windex works well to clean..as does water..... I then spray WD 40 in the bore and let it stand for a while while I do other things...por out the WD 40...wipe dry and then liberally lube with Ballistol.. set the rifle verticle over[url] night..in[/url] the morning I run a couple of patches through and then one wet with straight ballistol which I leave on the bore. wipe the outside wwith the used patch.. work great with no rust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone who responded, your help is appreciated. This is a GREAT forum with lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks, I am so glad to have found it. Happy smokin'--ron in Venice, FL

I still use the first stuff I ever tried... clean with hot water and dish soap. A hot barrel dries very fast. Then swab liberally with t/c natural lube. It stays nicely seasoned this way.
Taylor in Texas

If you use alcohol to remove last traces of water use isopropyl dry gas. This only has minute traces of water unlike rubbing (70%) or disinfectant (91%) alcohol. Note that methanol based dry gas will also work but it is more acidic and thus corrosive than isopropanol.

Lots has been said about using windex as a cleaner after shooting. In fact, I have used it and found it to do a good job. Has anyone found any negative effects to the barrel seasoning due to the ammonia?

Rio

texan said:
I still use the first stuff I ever tried... clean with hot water and dish soap. A hot barrel dries very fast. Then swab liberally with t/c natural lube. It stays nicely seasoned this way.
Taylor in Texas

:thumbsup:

Same for me. The bore of my first rifle (12 years old) looks like new. Hot water, soap some times and the bore butter while still warm.

Back