• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I clean my guns well I thought after shooting. Well today just playing around I ran a wet patch down the fusil. Black fowling looks like I just fired a load. 20 patches later I think it's good now. Do any of you remove the lock and barrel and do the hot soapy buck of water method? I like my guns clean when put up but it's almost like it just grew some new fowling.LOL. PS sorry some of you won't like this but the clamp on tubing thing does not appeal to me. Maybe you can persuade me.

I clean my guns well I thought after shooting. Well today just playing around I ran a wet patch down the fusil. Black fowling looks like I just fired a load. 20 patches later I think it's good now. Do any of you remove the lock and barrel and do the hot soapy buck of water method? I like my guns clean when put up but it's almost like it just grew some new fowling.LOL. PS sorry some of you won't like this but the clamp on tubing thing does not appeal to me. Maybe you can persuade me.
Either your cleaning method or lubricant. Pinned barrels shouldn’t be removed except to check under the barrel every year or so depending on how often shot. Suggest removing the lock and plugging the touch hole with a ‘toothpick’ or maybe a rare earth magnet with a seal between it and the touchhole. Believe someone here may be selling such a setup.

Many threads on cleaning. Type ‘cleaning’ in the search tab and you’ll get 10 pages of posts. Skim through and read any that sound interesting.

I had a clamp on flush tube, never lined up with the touch hole well, used it's parts to make one of these, which works very well. The maker of this is also a member on the forum as well. Davec I think.

I keep mine attached to an old bottle, so I just need to fill the bottle with water and a little in the bore helps before sending a wet patch down the bore. Only takes a few strokes to push the fouling into the bottle.

http://www.luckybag.us/MagneticFlushTube.html

Back