• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning a flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you guys use solvents or the good old hot water soap method for cleaning flintlocks? I have a 54 cal flint Renagade that I want to shoot for the first time. This gun is like new so I want to clean it right. I plan on fffg for the pan and ffg for the load with a patch and ball.

Room temperature, plain water. Soap or detergent in a very small amount, like one drop per liter, is enough to break the surface tension and that's all is needed unless using a grease lube. Grease lubes get a little more detergent and/or some water-soluble oil. Hot water is used because a hot barrel dries faster...but can also flash-rust especially if a detergent is used. Hot water also hardens BP fouling, no reason to use it. To get the water out, after the barrel is cleaned swab it liberally with a water soluble oil and then patch most of it out and follow with a heavy gun oil or rust inhibiting grease. If you don't have any water soluble oil, get it clean with soap and water and hose down with WD-40 and patch out as much of that as possible, then gun oil to protect.

Water patches usually 15-20 , dry patches , then oil patch ...I scrub the pan and area with wet tooth brush , dry the area cleaned ...I wipe that area with oil , then the barrel and any iron then the ramrod last . Takes 7-12 minutes every time . I never timed it before I got on the forum , was just curious after seeing and reading about some of these long drawn out cleaning procedures on here ....

The other thing is I always take off the lock on a flinter and clean the crud line on the barrel and behind the flash shield. If you don't, you get a rust line there. While the lock is off I scrub the outside with plain water and rinse, but try not to remove the oil. After it air-dries I re-oil the whole thing with a shaving brush, wipe off the excess, and reinstall it on the gun.

Your Renegade makes cleaning easy since you can pop the barrel out. Recommend water first, then water and a little dish soap as previously said. Multiple patches and cleaning rod strokes. Flush again with water, then multiple dry patches until dry, then a couple of patches with Ballistol or your favorite oil. Take the lock off, clean the exterior with Ballistol and water, wipe off any residue on the inside. Dry, then wipe down all the metal with an oiled cloth.

@bkct, the solvent to remove black powder fouling is water. A little soap can be added to clear out any oils that may have been used as the patch lubricant. As @TDM has pointed out the hooked breech in the barrel allows the barrel to be removed. Remove the nipple and place the breech into the bucket of solvent to flush out all the fouling in the barrel and the chambered breech of your Renegade. Flush the breech again in clean water. Dry the barrel and use a water displacing solvent which can be rubbing alcohol or WD40. Dry again and then lubricate the bore with a rust inhibiting lubricant. Install the nipple. Replace the barrel in the stock and store the rifle with the muzzle down to let any left over oils drain out of the breech. Should be good to go. It doesn't hurt to wipe the bore a day or two later to freshen up the protective lubricant.

Enjoy your Renegade!

Do you guys use solvents or the good old hot water soap method for cleaning flintlocks? I have a 54 cal flint Renagade that I want to shoot for the first time. This gun is like new so I want to clean it right. I plan on fffg for the pan and ffg for the load with a patch and ball.
There is no “right way” only the way that works right for YOU. Don’t let some Billy Bob tell you otherwise. There’s a million different ways. I use water most of the time. Try stuff.

Grenadier has it correct

Remove the barrel and lock
Put the breech in a bucket of water and using a wet patch on a jag on your ramrod pump the water in and out of the barrel several times.
Clean and oil the lock.
Oil the barrel.
Reassemble and oil entire rifle

Everything else is just window dressing.

Not hot water, but warm water & dish soap.

I use hot water just right out of the tap near the water heater & either simple green or dish soap. Follow that up with just a bit of alcohol to help evaporate off the excess. Then follow that up with WD-40. Then follow that up with oil or bear grease/beeswax lube.

I prefer hot water out of the tap. Yea, there can be some flash rust but it's not much. As long as I keep moving toward that WD-40, then it doesn't get a chance to form much at all. I like that hot water dissolves minerals, like salts, much faster than room temp water.

Back