• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clean or not to clean

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkie72327

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just got an 1836 dated 1816 Contract musket by Pomeroy. It is a "cone in barrel" conversion from flintlock to percussion. It is in pretty nice condition and an unpitted bore. The metal appears to have turned a blackish/brownish patina. As a type 3 I know it was originally bright, and where I take the bands off it is bright. Do I strip the barrel back to bright or leave it as is?
IMG_20231115_181843809.jpg
IMG_20231115_181904272.jpg

You can only approximate that patina. An expert can tell if it's real or faux. Faux is worth nuthin'.

Kansas jake is spot on. I have a some crumby pieces of eight and a couple of doubloons (one really nice and sharp) that have coral on them, and they're worth almost double with the coral growing on them than they are in perfect condition.

Seems stupid to say, but antiques aren't new. If they've been taken care of the age is half the alure. The only think I will do to an antique gun is clean the bore if I plan to shoot it.

Just becareful if you choose to shoot it. The cleaning products used could take that patina off, or at least make it look different in the spot it touches.

Back