• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Civil war percussion rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryjmurphy

32 Cal
Reaction score
I don’t know much about percussion rifles and am hoping to learn more about the rifle my Grandfather left me. He did reenactment for years and traded most of his life. This rifle was left to me but I don’t know much about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2EFACA83-E996-4BB8-BB5A-F24D86EAE12E.jpeg
CDC99171-2682-45F2-AD18-AEDC446348C1.jpeg
D4D9C699-FF06-484F-AE64-6A89A238790E.jpeg
FA367330-5110-4553-9506-4F40065921A4.jpeg

Thanks for your time on this.

Continental Europe they all seem similar has it a' Tige' or Delviene breech ' tige is pointed stem on the breach plug Delivene has narrowed breech area to upset the bullet If rod is wood its replaced should be steel one . dates suggest made new as smooth bore, Then rifled up at later date . Hope that helps
Rudyard

Continental Europe they all seem similar has it a' Tige' or Delviene breech ' tige is pointed stem on the breach plug Delivene has narrowed breech area to upset the bullet If rod is wood its replaced should be steel one . dates suggest made new as smooth bore, Then rifled up at later date . Hope that helps
Rudyard

Thanks a bunch. At this point any information is great. Really appreciate your time

Thanks a bunch. At this point any information is great. Really appreciate your time
At that first date yes a flintlock smooth bore the later date perhaps when put to percussion If the Rifled up is usually done after but no saying I might find it in a reference I have & your quite welcome .Continental arms are not my fort'e but I have a good library.. Ile look it up & see . Regards Rudyard

I think it's a Danish model 1828, Seems to have the same features as in the link below with the exception of the rear site. The sideplate, hammer, and front barrel band all seem to match. Seems they did a lot of mods over time, so maybe the rear site is also correct.

I can't find anything saying they were contracted by either side during the US Civil War, but that doesn't mean it wasn't used in it.

https://collegehillarsenal.com/Danish-Model-1828-46-59-Musket-Scarce

I agree the link is the closest I have seen at this point. Really appreciate your help. Do you happen to know best way to measure authenticity of the gun?

Back