• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Civil war muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a CW musket so I can add another class to to shoot in. I have not shot
a rifled musket in many years so I would like to ask your opinions on a couple of questions.

Who makes a quality production musket?

Euroarms?
Armi Sport?
Taylors and Co.?
Dixie Gun Works ?

Which gun do you like best

Springfield 3 band
Enfield 3 band
Enfield 2 band
Mississppi
Zouve

I am sure you all can help me narrow the field
some. Then it will be on to Mini balls and such!

:thumbsup:

The very best recreations are those made years ago of the various Enfields by Parker-Hale in England.
They were made using the original gages.

Although it took me several years of searching I have the PH Musketoon, 2 band and 3 band Enfields and they are very well made. Some of the CW reenactors will occasionally sell one of these so you might want to keep your eyes open.

Parker-Hale went out of business and the tooling was sent to Italy where the guns are currently being produced. I believe Navy Arms is the importer.

As for the others, I have a old Zouave that was made back in the '70's. It's OK but no where near the quality of the Parker-Hale guns.

We have many members who have Rifled Muskets made by (or imported by) the companies you mention so I'll let them answer for those guns.

I will second Zonie re the Parker Hale muskets. I have had a 2-band for many years & it is a great gun. There are 2 3-bands and one 2-band on Gun Broker right now. Not inexpensive but superb build quality. :thumbsup:

I'd buy an original with a poor bore and send the barrel to one of the people who reline and rifle them. I've seen M1861s in the 650-850 range, not pristine by any means but still presentable. I presume this would be more expensive than buying a repro but you'd have a much better rifle and something that would more than hold its value. I don't even think the relining would depreciate the gun to a general collector, especially if it was smooth or worn out in the first place.

The only reproduction gun I have ever owned was a "New in Box" 2-band PH Navy rifle purchased 2nd hand about 35 years ago. Everyone is right that they are the best of the repros... but I took the lock out and decided it was junk compared to the original I owned (which had been bored smooth). I put it back in the box and sold it about a week after I bought it. I never bothered to shoot it.

If the lining and rifling services had been available then (or if had known about them - this was long before the internet) I'd have gone that route in the first place.

Build quality is obviously an issue, but there are other matters to consider.

What position will you be shooting from? Some find the straight stock of the Enfield uncomfortable and you may be better going for something with a little more drop in the stock.

Also look at where the rearsight is placed. On the P/53 Enfield (3 band) it is set closer to the eye than the P/58 (2 band) for example. Some find that they can get a better sight picture with the P/58. Look at all the options available and handle as many as you can to determine which give you a sight picture you are happy with.

A post above says buy an original with a poor bore, then reline it. This may give you a shooter, but will devalue the rifle on the collector's market. Why not consider an original with a good bore; they can be shot and will hold (and possibly appreciate) their value.

If you get a Parker-Hale, contact me off list. I have a database of several hundred serial numbers and can give an approximate date. If you take the barrel out of the stock and give me the code marked after the proof load info. (two letters and a number) I can tell you the year the barrel was proofed.

David

I also am new to the rifled musket; I bought my first, a navy arms enfield musketoon on gunbroker and got what I considered a pretty good deal. The gun needed a little attention and I have taken it to the range once, had a productive shoot (see my earlier posts). I bought mine for recreational shooting and hunting, the musketoon will be better in the woods than the long rifle. Overall I am very happy with my purchase, so I would recommend the musketoon.

Eterry

I recommend checking out John Zimmerman’s Civil War Rifles. They are defarbed and I have an 1861 Springfield I bought from John years back and it’s a great shooter.
http://www.edsmart.com/jz/

Mark B

Last edited by a moderator:
hey grzrob,

recently i saw a nice 'j.p.murray 1863' muskatoon (.58cal) that is available on gunbroker for a mere $425 (GB Item=187184472).. be advised, i can see it is missing one screw on the left brass inlay (maybe $2 to replace).

i have one by euroarms that is almost identical and works like a champ.. these are somewhat smaller than a full musket at 39 1/2" but do very well with prb or conical.. members here have even had success using them for hog hunting..! new ones on dixie are about $750 (ouch!).

some consider them a little too "shinny" what with all the brass (2 ring barrel plus double strapped upper plus butt plate, but i think that's what makes 'em all the more attractive.

just a thought, :hatsoff:
~d~

I too have thought from time to time about buying a CW musket, preferably a musketoon for easy carrying in the brush. If memory serves, the muskets come with 3, 5, and 7 groove rifling, and maybe even others that I am not aware of. If anyone out there is knowledgeable on this matter, I would sure appreciate some input. Which are the most accurate and which are to be avoided? Thanks.

trot,

better yet is that i got mine for $400 (shipping included) back when the economy started tanking.. i think the seller was more worried about his mortgage than anything else..

i've found it to be a good, accurate shooter with mild recoil that's pretty easy to lug around.. using the nipple-hose cleaning system takes all the work out of that aspect as well.

i think the same could be said for its cousin, the cook & brothers muskatoon.. don't have one of those nor have i ever used one, but they're both from euroarms..

that's a pretty good price for either, and i'd be strongly inclined to go with S & S over an auction item anyday.

~d~ :thumbsup:

I own an US M1841 "Mississippi" rifle from Euroarms in the original .54 caliber. The quality of this rifle rivals a custom built job. It is extremely accurate (1-1/4" at 50 yds) and is true to the originals. IMHO the M1841 is the most handsome, best looking rifle ever issued to US military troops.

Was shooting my repro 1847 .69 Fremont rifle today. Basically a 14 gauge slug gun with a ladder rear sight. Love it. Too bad it's not a flinter but Hey! You can't have everything!

Well update time, I won a Parker Hale Muskatoon off an online auction. It should be here next week.
Range reports will follow! :thumbsup:

Back