• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cigars

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grandad wouldn'a been caught dead with a corn cob pipe, rest his soul. Dad always said corn cob pipes were actually a sweet, ultimtely disposeable, cheap smoke and actually may have smoked a couple in his life. He'd quit any smoking by the time I was a teenager and gave all but the meershaum pipe in my glove compartment to "the clown" son-in-law probably hoping it would end my sister's marriage just a little sooner. They do have drawbacks though...

Not just a little embarassing in some, OK most, circles! Pull out a pipe in some and you're tolerably odd. Make it a corncob pipe and you're just a freak.

And then there's the subtle yet still offensive note of grits they add to the aroma...

Spoken like a Mid-Atlantic Stater...don't you know grits is where it's at? :rotf:

For those looking to use cigars that from what I've found are good replicas of what was smoked after 1770 are the Marsh Wheeling Delux cigars. They are hand finished, and are the long, thin style that match the illustration in my previous link. They have a dark wrapper version as well as a milder version. I tried some this weekend, and was very pleased, though I only buy cigars as singles, not in full boxes...I don't smoke them enough for that.

The cigar shop lady told me they were rolled by "Amish", and I asked her if they were rolled "on the thighs of Amish virgins", but she wasn't sure of that :shocked2: ...I think they are factory made and hand finished...by folks other than the Amish...but I have no real idea.

LD

at a cocktail party closing a seminar where I'd lectured in Smith Hall at Harvard I pulled out my corn cob and got a warm greeting from the attendees from the old Confederacy. I gave up smoking 32 years ago and still miss it at age 82 ,could I safely start now? Hank

Pipe smokers out live none smokers by an average of 3 years acording to our SG office. Even if it wasn't good for you life is too short to not do things you like.

Loyalist Dave said:
The cigar shop lady told me they were rolled by "Amish", and I asked her if they were rolled "on the thighs of Amish virgins", but she wasn't sure of that :shocked2: LD

:rotf:

That's hysterical -- nice callback!

Did you explain yourself or have more fun leaving her alone and afraid you might come back again?

Yep: Start again. I turned 82 last summer but had never quit smoking. Haven't smoked a cigarete for many years, but love a corncob pipe with a good English blend. Also smoke cigars,, but my, the taxes have made them expensive. :shocked2: Us old folk have to quit chewing, though. :nono: That brown stain looks awful on a white beard. graybeard

DEAR Cynthialee, since I qualify on all points regarding this matter, tobacco use and age, may I add my thoughts?
Never marry an old man
I'll tell you the reason why
His cheeks are full of tobacco juice
and his chin is never dry.
With regards, Woodbutcher

tenngun said:
Pipe smokers out live none smokers by an average of 3 years acording to our SG office. Even if it wasn't good for you life is too short to not do things you like.

Completely agree. The limited amount of research that's been done on occasional smoking pipes or cigars doesn't show any correlation between that type/amount of smoking and decreased life expectancy. I smoke a cigar or a pipe 4 or 5 times a month. It's relaxing and enjoyable, and I'm not giving it up.

I've been interested in getting a pipe that is sold on ebay by a guy who makes them out of deer antlers. They are sold with a pouch for keeping tobacco and they make a nice looking set. They go for about $20 or so. Would a deer antler make a good pipe?

The stem appears to be some sort of reed.

palonghunter said:
tenngun said:

Completely agree. The limited amount of research that's been done on occasional smoking pipes or cigars doesn't show any correlation between that type/amount of smoking and decreased life expectancy. I smoke a cigar or a pipe 4 or 5 times a month. It's relaxing and enjoyable, and I'm not giving it up.
Well I love to quote that fact, but I think its because pipe smokers tend to be type b personalities. The Dutch and Sweads did hard studies on it a few years ago and found pipe smokers had to smoke at least 5 bowls a day to tie non smokers and 7 bowls a day to run a risk of earlier death

Thanks for the good description. No thanks on that pipe then. LOL

I'll start looking around for some HC/PC type pipes. Don't want to spend a lot on them since I won't be doing much smoking with them. Just once in a while take it out for a puff or two. :grin:

Townsend has some good ones, best looking ones are on turkey foot traders, crazy crow has some nice catlinite ones, meersham was used by the 1720s but I can't say when the first ones were brought to America. I don't know if whites were useing catlinite in any numbers.

FYI...

On eBay there is a Revolutionary-War-Soldiers-Paper-Mache-Cigar-Case and 2-Civil-War-Cigars now.

Cynthialee said:
I don't like pipes. I only get halfway through the tobacco in the pipe and it turns nasty.
Also I feel like I look silly smoking on a pipe.
YUP -- all I can picture in my mind is Mammy Yokum :rotf: :rotf: !!!

Cynthia Lee, one of my fondest memories of the First Arkansas Light Artillery was being downwind of our Captain when he lit up a Dominican. I had given up smoking 20 plus years before, and the mysterious, intoxicating fragrance haunts my recollection of his intelligent conversation and military insight. Thanks for the post. And good luck with your homegrown and handrolled beauties, Treestalker. :thumbsup:

I think you should all remember that U.S. Grant practically chain smoked cigars and was often accused of overcooking it with whiskey and died relatively young, age 64. Robert E. Lee, who never smoked, drank or chased women, kept his shoes shined and his hair combed, lived to the ripe old age of 64. There's a lesson in there somewhere. If anyone figures it out, let me know. graybeard

Back