• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chisel confusion???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Black

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
I recently purchased a custom pistol that is still in the works. The stock is made from American walnut and the green mountain barrel is fitted and the lock is partially inletted. The trigger is not inletted yet, as there is none, that part is up to me. I'm just looking for some suggestions on some chisels to get me started. I'm not in any hurry, as I am learning as I go. Currently in the market for a good book as well, if there are any suggestions, I would appreciate that too!! Thanks for the help!! :bow:

If you can find one and have deep pockets,,,,
The Gunsmith of Grenville County , Building the American Longrifle by Peter A. Alexander, ISBN 1-880655-13-6. 394 pages of great reading.
Read somewhere that it was out of print but coming back,
Scurlock Publishing CO inc
1293 Myrtle Springs Rd
Texacana,TX 75503
They have a web site to.
Covers it all so far as I read.It is written in a Dumbie down technical manner,written so just about anyone can read/understand and do.

Recreating the American Longrifle by Buchele, Shumway etal. Will give you just about all the guidance you need. If you get stymied ask here.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've heard of both of those titles. Hopefully they put "The Gunsmith" back into print, cause that's probably the only way I'll be able to afford it! I actually have a copy of Recreating the American Longrifle on the way. I can't wait to get to work! Thank again! :bow:

Good book suggestions.

As for a tool...a perfectly serviceable chisel for inletting a trigger can be made from an old screw-driver. Grind off the tip leaving only the shaft then shape the shaft to a chisel point.

Remember to grind slow and quench often so you don't temper the shaft.

Another option is to get some 1/16" diameter music wire from the hobby store and treat it the same way. Music wire makes great chisels. Just drill a hole in some 3/4" dowel for a handle.

Enjoy, J.D.

Chisels come in a wide range of sizes and types. The most common are your bench chisels these are your standard type. Of these the ones you

Please disreguard my last I'm having some problems and can't edit my last post.

What ever shape chisels you decide to get, get the best you can afford. I just bought some Swiss made chisels and after using them for 10 minutes I literally turn around grabbed the hardware store ones I had been using and threw them away. What a huge difference it was to use tools of that quality. They stay sharp 4 to 5 times longer and with a little polishing they are shaving sharp again. I learned my lesson

Check out Estate/Yard sales and Antique stores.They are the best source for quality tool.I buy every old tool on the table,you can not go wrong.If it is in a barn and they are having a sale,,the sky opens and the sun shines and I do my Happy Dance!!!!!!!!!!
I class tools in two listing,,Great and near junk.More people dont buy expensive tool they dont use very often,unless they are craftsman and have to have a dependable tool.

I like my two English made Stanley Sweethearts from Woodcrafters. Both are bench chisels in 1/4" and 1/2". They should be all I need for my current build.
Belive it or not a sharpened nail and a fingernail file shaped to fit have been guite useful in tight spots.
Oh invest in some good sharpening stones.

It should be pointed out that Wood Crafters also sells a round and a square needle file RASP which is very good at removing wood in hard to reach places. If you are cutting a deep slot for a trigger you might want one. I use the needle file/rasp to connect parallel drilled holes for wedges plates- and similar tasks.

As for a tool...a perfectly serviceable chisel for inletting a trigger can be made from an old screw-driver. Grind off the tip leaving only the shaft then shape the shaft to a chisel point.

Remember to grind slow and quench often so you don't temper the shaft.

He beat me to it. I have purchased many old screwdrivers at yard sales or wherever and made them into chisles. I don't grind the ends off, just file or grind the shape I want, heat and quench. This is custom tool making at it's finest. You can make a specific tool for a specific job.
As for buying chisles. IMHO, any mid range chisle will be very fine for the job. The real cheap-cheep El Cheapos are way too hard to sharpen properly and some are so brittle as to be dangerous.

How does the edge hold up on the screw driver chisel? I've never made them because I figured the steel would be too soft to hold an edge.

I use a 1/8" wide palm chisle made from a cheap screw driver for a lot of tight carving and inletting. Most will hold a good enough edge.

Wow guys!! Thanks for all the GREAT suggestions!! I've got a manure-LOAD of old screwdrivers that will be perfect chisels! Never even thought of that!! Thanks again!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Like Wick said and I would recommend that you try to stay with old U.S. made stuff. Who knows what's in new or imported stuff. :shake:

Old screwdrivers from yard sales and flee markets are great, especially if you get the old ones with the wood handles....square shafts are a plus too.

Enjoy, J.D.

The tempered rods known as music wire at hardware stores is also a good choice. You can grind them into straight tips and even gouges. I use a 3/32" and a 1/8" mounted in antler grips for detail carving. Cut the end to a half round, then file the scoop into it. They hold a pretty decent edge. Pic is a tad dark, but you can see the scoop on the bottom chisle.

pennyknife087_640x480.jpg

Latest posts

Back