• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chinese Matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have just had an e.mail from another collector who has aquired a massive Chinese Matchlock. Almost seven feet in length with a red lacquered stock.
Will try to get some decent pictures as it would be good to verify and date if any have experience of these monsters. :sleep:

I have just had the monster dropped off.......217cm{7'1,5"} overall.
The lock is missing and some twit has cleaned the barrel!!.
Will try to get some picture on after our Japan trip.

With great difficulty I would Imagine.......It has the remains of a 'Pivot' mount{Not sure of the correct term} mid section so may have been made to mount on a boat?.
Will try to get the photo's sorted when we get back.
:peace:

Could this have been a wall gun? British and French wall guns were equipped with a pivot. I understand that Washington even had a few of them during the Rev. War.

Could this have been a wall gun? British and French wall guns were equipped with a pivot. I understand that Washington even had a few of them during the Rev. War.

Not sure but will check Stones Glossery. Now back from Japan,weahter good so will attempt to get some pictures of the massive piece. It would be in need of some work which may or may not be worth although at 7'-2" it must be quite rare. Also shipping {My chum wants to sell and I need to get the thing off our carpet befor it makes the floor unstable!. ::

Would like to see a pic of it. Look forward to seeing your pics. Was your trip to Japan fruitful? I would have thought it would be nice to visit Shiego Sugawa and see his collection.

"Great Wall Gun......" yes it certainly is!!!!!!!

Sorry folks I am still struggling with modern technology in the form of a digital camera!!, as soon as I get something not blurred will post. :hmm:

"Great Wall Gun......" yes it certainly is!!!!!!!

Sorry folks I am still struggling with modern technology in the form of a digital camera!!, as soon as I get something not blurred will post. :hmm:

Finally manage some pictures, the quality is poor, must be the Camera!!! as everyone else manages to produce great pic's...........my story anyway.
cm1.jpg

Would like to see a pic of it. Look forward to seeing your pics. Was your trip to Japan fruitful? I would have thought it would be nice to visit Shiego Sugawa and see his collection.

The trip was great fun, we (She who rules) made a pact, I would not drag her around sword and gun antique emporium, she would not "Shop". I kept my side of the bargain.......... :boohoo:

Wow! Now that's a matchlock!! I've read of some large-bored, long-barreled matchlocks and early flinters being used during the English Civil War for sharpshooting by foresters drafted or volunteered into both sides of that fracas...wonder if this was an oriental version? Darn interesting anywho! :applause:

Wow! Now that's a matchlock!! I've read of some large-bored, long-barreled matchlocks and early flinters being used during the English Civil War for sharpshooting by foresters drafted or volunteered into both sides of that fracas...wonder if this was an oriental version? Darn interesting anywho! :applause:

Reminds me of the 'Punt guns' they were huge but this is certainly Chinese in origin.
I have posted some other equally poor picture on my web site, seems that my riend is now going to sell the monster, how you would transport such a thing I have no idea......

Reminds me of the 'Punt guns' they were huge but this is certainly Chinese in origin.
I have posted some other equally poor picture on my web site, seems that my riend is now going to sell the monster, how you would transport such a thing I have no idea......

Yes he confirmed he is going to get rid of it on e.bay!!!!!! so any who may be interested mail me and will pass on his address. :shake:

The owner has finally had a Chinese translation which I thought the membership may find interesting.......

Seems it is inscribed as a "palace guard gun,No44." "Left gate" and also a second series of characters that were to feint to read.

According to the transaltor who is also a Chinese history buff, that side was the concubine quarters.......so a 'Trollop' defence weapon!!!!!!.

Just a joke, no PC black mark I hope......... :peace:

Back