• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chiappa/Armi Sport 1855 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeadShark

36 Cl.
Reaction score
What's up guys.

Does anybody here own a Chiappa/Armi Sport 1855 Springfield? Thinking about getting one for the "military rifle" muzzleloader shooting discipline we got. I only got a bit of experience with their Sharps rifles and in my opinion they are pretty good, but on the web I find people complain about Chiappa/Armi Sport a lot so I would like to gather some opinions and info from people who own Chiappa Springfields.

Thanks!

Nobody here seems to have any experience with them. Are there any other repro 1855 Springfields?

1855? Wish I did!
Got one of their .69 caliber 1847 Fremont's with the 33" barrel.
I love it despite the dearth of pre-Younger Dryas fauna.
69 Fremont.JPG

I have an 1853 Enfield made by Armi Sport ( before the "Chiappa" came into it.) Dependable, sturdy and accurate. Killed about 8 to 10 deer with it. Always just used patched round balls, never tried mini's. Had a gunsmith fabricate a taller front sight for it for hunting. The original, short front sight was shooting a little high at distances closer than 100 yards. Never had a misfire or malfunction. The wood is a little on the hefty side, thought about having lodgewood trim it down to original, slimmer wrist etc. My Armi Sport is a quality piece.

I have a newer Chiappa 1853 Enfield and it is a very nice rifled musket - no complaints here ;) :thumb:

I have their Richmond Rifle and Carbine- both excellent shooters. Had to work on the trigger pull for the rifle- it was off the scale on my Timney gauge. But they shoot great with Minies.

I have the Armisport 1855 3-Band Musket in .58 caliber. It is a bit heavy, but a darn good shooter. Previous owner was a skirmisher like myself and had fully glass-bedded the barrel. Uses a .580 sized Minie. I've found that it shoots very nice with 45 grains of Ol Eynesford 3FG powder and either a Parker Hale Lyman Minie sized .579 that I used for my PH 1858 2 bander or an old sytle Minie from a Tennessee Bullet Molds 2 cavity mold. It is a beautiful rifle with pretty nice wood and has a 4 pound trigger, tall front sight, and long range rear sight. In a factory produced gun, you have only the old Euroarms in the 1855 to choose from and they haven't been made in several years as Euroarms is no longer in business. Now the ultimate 1855 is a Tom Nixon Custom build. I have one built as a two bander, and it is top motch, but also twice the price of the Armisport/Chiappa.

Thanks for your insights! Seems like the same concept applies with brands as with "ask 100 shooters what cleaning method is the best and you will get 100 answers".

Gonna get myself an 1855 this year.

Back