• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chiappa/Armi Sport or Veteran Arms 1842 Springfield?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arch_Dornan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey ya'll, I was just wondering, what is the best manufacturer to buy a replica smoothbore 1842 Springfield from? I've seen conflicting narratives about whether to buy from Chiappa/Armi Sport, Indian made, Traditions, or Veteran Arms and I can't make up my mind on what is best. I want something that is accurate and will last me a long time but I'm not sure about the quality of some of those manufacturers.

The Traditions is also made by Chiappa/Armisport, just marketed by Traditions. Veteran Arms are made in India. You will find tons of banter on here about the quality of the Indian made guns pro and con. The general consensus is they aren't bad but often need some work and should be treated sort of like a kit. A few things that are undisputable though, The Armisport is a much more accurate reproduction, replacement parts are available for them, the stock wood is much better and the locks are better quality. I would absolutely go with the Armisport.

If you can actually find an ArmiSport 1842 you best buy it

They are going to stop making them and may already have , your only other Italian option is the Pedersoli 1816 conversion if you want a percussion .69

Hey ya'll, I was just wondering, what is the best manufacturer to buy a replica smoothbore 1842 Springfield from? I've seen conflicting narratives about whether to buy from Chiappa/Armi Sport, Indian made, Traditions, or Veteran Arms and I can't make up my mind on what is best. I want something that is accurate and will last me a long time but I'm not sure about the quality of some of those manufacturers.
Vet Arms is all India. Go with an Italian maker, will be 'sharper' quality and have better eventual re-sale. I'm guessing Traditions is actually mfg. by an Italy company; probably Chiappa marketed by Traditions. Just go with Italian, I doubt there's TWO companies there making them. Probably Chiappa has all the dies, etc. Some people get confused by a name like, say, Lyman, but the actual factory makes the quality, not the 'marketer'. Good luck! BTW, at one time the '42 was offered in both rifled AND smoothie, don't know if that's still the case!

I shoot a cut down 42 in smoothbore competition. It's an Armisport altered to Macon Arsenal rebuild spec during the Civil War. It's one of my favorite guns to shoot and surprisingly accurate with a bare ball.

Back