• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chiappa 1859 Sharps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeadShark

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Since part of the pellet primer of my Garret 1859 Sharps decided to spontaneously disintegrate, I am looking for a Sharps I can shoot without worrying about that. Since I already own a Chiappa 1855 Springfield and have spoken to a couple people who own a Chiappa Sharps I know there is nothing inherently wrong with Chiappa guns (Though there are people that say otherwise).

Still, as usual, I'd like to get as many opinions as possible before any purchase. Information is free afterall (unlike guns). Does anybody here own one of their Sharps? If so, do you like it? Do you have problems with ignition? Do you have the new breech face they copied from Pedersoli? Do you use flat based cartridges or rat tail cartridges?

Greetings,

Leadshark

The Chiappa Firearms is a good Sharps, they don't copy the new Pedersoli falling block and they are like mine, the same that the Sharps sporting Pedersoli with the ancient falling block. No difference between the Chiappa and the Pedersoli only for one thing important : the floating chamber is shorter on the Chiappa and don't need to remove the barrel in case of oxidation, that's big advantage.

I don't really regret it but after all that time I think that I should have bought a Schiappa Firearms and not a Pedersoli...

For cartridges, the best are the flat back, I use paper and flax cartridges, but they are all way flat base and my friends having Chiappa use them too...

S&S Firearms has pellet primer parts for originals which should fit in your Garret.
Sadly they don't deliver outside of the US. So that is not an option for me.

Also you can never have enough Sharps.

The Chiappa Firearms is a good Sharps, they don't copy the new Pedersoli falling block and they are like mine, the same that the Sharps sporting Pedersoli with the ancient falling block. No difference between the Chiappa and the Pedersoli only for one thing important : the floating chamber is shorter on the Chiappa and don't need to remove the barrel in case of oxidation, that's big advantage.

I don't really regret it but after all that time I think that I should have bought a Schiappa Firearms and not a Pedersoli...

For cartridges, the best are the flat back, I use paper and flax cartridges, but they are all way flat base and my friends having Chiappa use them too...

I have heard in the past Chiappa has ruined their falling block the same way Pedersoli did. Good to hear this is not the case. The people I know who own Chiappas have the old ones. Is the Chiappa floating chamber the same as in the Pedersoli?

Is the Chiappa floating chamber the same as in the Pedersoli?
Yes and no....
In fact, they are made exactly the same manner concerning floating chamber, movable plate and falling block, but the floating chamber is shorter than on the Pedersoli and from this way the cartridges are a bit shorter but largely sufficient for a good load and the 500 grains bullets...
No real/important difference, in fact : around a bit more than 50 grains of FFFg (French PNF1 or Swiss N°2) for the Chiappa and the Pedersoli ...
If you plain to use brass tubes, the length is different (shorter on the Chiappa) and it needs to make a wedge behind the mobile plate so that the cases do not break it while the tube is moving backwards, which would irremediably block the falling block, the brass case and the barrel without possibility of dismounting without removing the barrel: if no wedge behind the mobile plate everything is riveted at the first or the first few shots...
The Chiappa can use the Pedersoli brass tubes (with wedge) but resized, which is not the best solution: these guns work better with paper or flax cartridges as the Pedersoli...

Not a Chiappa Sharps, but the 'poor' relation, the much-maligned AIB Sharps carbine, this time in .50 cal loose loading. Using home made paper cartridges, he got off eight good shots before it started to get a mite cranky - a bit of oil later, and he was good to go again.

IAB aren't so bad that the people said, one friend has transformed one in 45-120-500 BP, just changing the barrel and the falling block...
Normally if the cartridges are good with good treated paper, not too big volume of the good powder it can normally shoot between ten or thirteen shot before it become grumpy...

I have an IAB 1863 .54 cavalry carbine.
Works good w/whatever 3f charge I use.
What it didn't like is those pyrodex pellets in the box. (The box was nice)
They didn't like to ignite.
I use the DGW sharps 475 grain .544 paper cartridge and loose powder.
I cast Lee mold 415 grain . 540 paper cartridge. I don't use these with loose powder cuz they are a hair under recommended .544. Don't want them sliding down the bore.
1081 musket caps.
I pretty much just plink with it because it's fun

If you plain to use brass tubes, the length is different (shorter on the Chiappa) and it needs to make a wedge behind the mobile plate so that the cases do not break it while the tube is moving backwards, which would irremediably block the falling block, the brass case and the barrel without possibility of dismounting without removing the barrel: if no wedge behind the mobile plate everything is riveted at the first or the first few shots...
The Chiappa can use the Pedersoli brass tubes (with wedge) but resized, which is not the best solution: these guns work better with paper or flax cartridges as the Pedersoli...

I will never use the brass tubes. Paper cartridge all the way. Using one of those brass tubes and potentially ruining your falling block over time would be like punching myself in the face. To each their own but I personally would never do it. The gun was designed to shoot paper cartridges and that is what I will shoot.

It's very good to hear that they still have the proper falling block. It seizing up doesn't matter all that much. Usually when it happens, I just spit on it or spray a little oil on it and work it a couple times.

Thank you to everyone in this thread. A lot of useful and good information. I appreciate it.

You said the moving sleeve is shorter. Do you think that when using one of those ringtail bullets, filling it with 60 grns of Wano PP would still be possible? That's the load I use in my Garret.

My good friend had a Chiappa 45-70 Sharps and I fired it, in short, it shot ok and was a good enough rifle but it felt "cheap"

He promptly traded it back to the gun shop for like 75% of the cost and ordered a Pedersoli which was 100x better

You said the moving sleeve is shorter. Do you think that when using one of those ringtail bullets, filling it with 60 grns of Wano PP would still be possible? That's the load I use in my Garret.
Don't known the Wano, (this is a German powder, no ?) I think that you can have a load around 60 grains : I'm using 54 grains for 100 yards with the Chrismas Tree bullets and I have more than largely the place for six more grains and much more in the cartridges.
For the weight/volume of more powder, have a look on the coffee ground :
I will never use the brass tubes. Paper cartridge all the way. Using one of those brass tubes and potentially ruining your falling block over time would be like punching myself in the face. To each their own but I personally would never do it. The gun was designed to shoot paper cartridges and that is what I will shoot.
That's is a good resolution and the best you can do... ;)

Could someone please tell me how to post for sale items thank you
clickon forums top left
scroll down to muzzleloading classifieds
Pick a catagory
Blue for sale icon comes up
post item for sale, describe it.
if you have pictures click attach files ,upload them
push button to finish.
I thinkit'll get you going

My good friend had a Chiappa 45-70 Sharps and I fired it, in short, it shot ok and was a good enough rifle but it felt "cheap"

He promptly traded it back to the gun shop for like 75% of the cost and ordered a Pedersoli which was 100x better
I have a high tolerance. People praise the Garret to high heavens but from the ill-fitting steel parts to the pellet primer deciding to kill itself I cannot subscribe to that notion. Don't get me wrong, I love the rifle. It's just that everyone has a different opinion on things I suppose. I own a Chiappa 1855 Springfield and it is a fine rifle. So I don't think I will have many problems with another Chiappa firearm. Especially for the price. Shoots great too.

Happy for your friend. If a rifle is not fun, there is no use in having it. Did he tell you what felt cheap about it?

Pedersoli also apparently still has the problem with their "improved" breech block. Not good for paper cartridges. They tried to improve a system that didn't need improving. Our good friend Christian Sharps knew exactly what he was doing. You will never get a percussion Sharps completely gas sealed and that is fine. The originals weren't either.

Don't known the Wano, (this is a German powder, no ?) I think that you can have a load around 60 grains : I'm using 54 grains for 100 yards with the Chrismas Tree bullets and I have more than largely the place for six more grains and much more in the cartridges.

That's is a good resolution and the best you can do... ;)

Yeah Wano is a german powder. I use it and it works fine.

That's very good. Of course I would need to experiment with the load again but I'd like to start off with my standard load and go from there. I might one day switch from the ringtail to the richmond bullets, but I currently still have a big stockpile of ringtails, so that is what I will use. 6 wing caps + tissue paper bottom = 100% ignition for me. Very accurate. If I can find the picture of the last range session I will post it.

Update:

Have seen a video of a guy who bought himself a new Chiappa Sharps. It seems like Chiappa has now also decided to ruin their breech plates so that people can use brass tubes.

Very sad to see but nothing one can do.

Update:

Have seen a video of a guy who bought himself a new Chiappa Sharps. It seems like Chiappa has now also decided to ruin their breech plates so that people can use brass tubes.

Very sad to see but nothing one can do.
Do you have the link/url of that video ? I like to see that evolution or "disaster"...
This could be not very important if it's different of the Pedersoli way of made...

Latest posts

Back