• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chemistry Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally found the ingredients and made a batch using this recipe, didn't fully imulsify, and separates with minutes. Thought I must have done something wrong, then I saw the instruction to "shake well before using" so....
View attachment 279223
Wasn't impressed with this recipe, I used it today, I swabbed with it before firing, dampened my patches with it, swabbed with it between each shot, and attempted to clean with it after I finished shooting, after the sixth swabbing, ran a dry patch and it came out with streaks of black,

I finally gave up on it, and swabbed once with Hoppe's black powder bore cleaner, then ran another dry patch which came out completely clean.

I bore scoped it, and it looked fairly clean except down around the breech plug/ flash hole area, took the barrel out of the stock, removed the nipple, placed the breech in a plastic jug, poured wiper fluid down the bore till it covered the flash hole, put a swab down and pumped it back and forth till fluid came out the bore. Then drained it muzzle down, swabbed with a couple dry patches, and bore scoped it again,

Shiney and clean, looked unfired, so I sprayed Barricade on a patch and swabbed it several times to prevent rust. Wiped the exterior down with Barricade, and put it back together.

Perhapse I did something wrong, but I think the above recipe was the least effective one that I've tried so far.

Both the first moose milk recipe I tried, and the 50/50 Dawn/water worked better. All three of the commercial products I tried, worked better. So can scratch this one off the options list.

Great stuff. My Favorite! But, I got some Moose Milk for Christmas I need to use, now.
All I got for Christmas was a lump of Coal. So I ground it up, added some sulfur and salt-peter and burned it in this old thing.
259437-7bb218d2ab6b284b92a0e152db2b2d49.jpg

20231210_144544.jpg

I was going to order some to try, but Midway USA says that it's been discontinued!

Though, I did find a tiny little sample bottle of T/C #17, I'm guessing that is what they replaced it with?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back