• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chemistry Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Much of what little I actually learned in high-school chemistry has been lost to time. So was wondering if their where some here who could help me find an answer.

Murphy's moose milk being a surfactant stabilized oil in water emultion, how can I increase it's viscosity making it more effective as a patch lube?

Murphy's moose milk
Which "Murphy's moose milk" recipe are you using(?), Specially.
What ingredients are you using and how much of each?
There are 12 of them.
And, there are vaired shooting conditions. Do you want to shoot all day at the range? Or going hunting once a year?
Are you willing to maintain your mix, or mix it just once and forget it?
(or everything in-between?)
It matters. So define the question. A simple ask,,,

Last edited:
Glycerin, probably.

Patch lube recipes are recipes. They have specific ingredients in specific proportions for reasons. Some are highly adjustable, some are not. There are, at last count, 29,644,368 patch lube recipes documented on this forum alone, if you don't like what you're using, pick another that seems like it would be more viscous.

As an aside, to increase the viscosity of spit, strong cinnamon gum or an Atomic Fireball stuffed in your cheek will do the trick. Levi Garrett also works.

We add water to dissolve powder fouling so we don't have to wipe after every stinking shot. Waxy lubes can be pretty viscous and load and shoot just fine if wiping is your thing.

We add water to dissolve powder fouling so we don't have to wipe after every stinking shot.
We do? I ain't doggin ya about "glycerin", I don't even know where to get any,,
I was teasing!!!!
p.s. you mentioned "spit", (?)
GADD"S!

Last edited:
What I remember from the dim and distant past is that a surfactant is a surface active agent that removes the surface tension of water. If there's a spider walking on the water in the toilet bowl a drop of detergent will sink it. Beyond that, I'm of no help.:confused:
Works on sinking stink bugs too :thumb:

Which "Murphy's moose milk" recipe are you using(?), Specially.
What ingredients are you using and how much of each?
There are 12 of them.
And, there are vaired shooting conditions. Do you want to shoot all day at the range? Or going hunting once a year?
Are you willing to maintain your mix, or mix it just once and forget it?
(or everything in-between?)
It matters. So define the question. A simple ask,,,
I've been using:
30% water
30% Murphy's
30% Ballistol
10% Windex
Application via spray bottle. Use it both for swabbing and to moisten patches.

Ok, so you spray some of the mix on a patch, load then shoot, right?
Then spray some of the mix and use it as a swab patch, then toss that patch and load again? That's good.
Honest, that helps keep the bore fouling consistent. (there will be argument)
Your mix will get beat up by some folk's but it's basically equal parts with a squirt. I get it.
A good cleaning mix.
How is your mix not being a good patch lube for you? What need's to be fixed for you?
To be honest, I have never used anything like that, I have found other methods, that involves most of those ingredients but not how your using them in combination. If you can be honest and not be concerned with all the nay sayers that will chip in,, I'll try.
What are your goals?
p.s. your gonna "have too" not, use that mix, for anything.

Ok, so you spray some of the mix on a patch, load then shoot, right?
Then spray some of the mix and use it as a swab patch, then toss that patch and load again? That's good.
Honest, that helps keep the bore fouling consistent. (there will be argument)
Your mix will get beat up by some folk's but it's basically equal parts with a squirt. I get it.
A good cleaning mix.
How is your mix not being a good patch lube for you? What need's to be fixed for you?
To be honest, I have never used anything like that, I have found other methods, that involves most of those ingredients but not how your using them in combination. If you can be honest and not be concerned with all the nay sayers that will chip in,, I'll try.
What are your goals?
p.s. your gonna "have too" not, use that mix, for anything.
Ok, I'm sure you can tell that I am fairly new to muzzleloading, have been experimenting with a lot of the cleaners and lubes posted here, as well as commercial products like Hoppe's, Muzzle Magic, Butch's Black powder Bore Shine. This one seems to cut fowling as well as any, is inexpensive, easy to make and use, but seems to be really thin and wattery like skim milk vs heavy cream when compared to the commercial products.

It doesn't feel as slick, or coat like they do. Patches often have unburned coernels of powder imbeded, wich I interpret to mean the wet patch is getting some of the powder wet. Would hope to keep it's cleaning and foweling reduction properties, without getting everything as wet. Also, it evaporates quickly, without leaving much of an oily residue on the patch. I can saturate a rolled strip of ticking, squeeze out the excess, and in an hour it feels dry, as if it was never lubed at all.

Last edited:
Much of what little I actually learned in high-school chemistry has been lost to time. So was wondering if their where some here who could help me find an answer.

Murphy's moose milk being a surfactant stabilized oil in water emultion, how can I increase it's viscosity making it more effective as a patch lube?
My wife is a chemist. She said you might be able to whip it if it is an actual emulsion it will thicken like mayonnaise.

I am not a chemist. I would add soap.

Latest posts

Back