• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Checking bores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger955

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at a used muzzleloader at my local gun shop the other day and asked the owner for a bore light. He has a rather slick idea for checking them. With a normal bore light dropped into the barrel you still can't see the first couple inches near the breech. He has a couple small aluminum plugs in various calibers about 1/2 inch long, polished on the ends. Drop the appropriate size down the bore and shine a light in from the muzzle and it lights up the whole bore rather well.
I never heard of this before and thought it was a rather slick idea. I bought a rifle once that had a bad rust ring near the breech I could not see with a bore light. Apparently it was left loaded for too long in a humid climate. The only way it would shoot worth a darn was with heavy loads or extra wadding to get the ball seated ahead of the rust ring.

tiger955 said:
I was looking at a used muzzleloader at my local gun shop the other day and asked the owner for a bore light. He has a rather slick idea for checking them. With a normal bore light dropped into the barrel you still can't see the first couple inches near the breech. He has a couple small aluminum plugs in various calibers about 1/2 inch long, polished on the ends. Drop the appropriate size down the bore and shine a light in from the muzzle and it lights up the whole bore rather well.
I never heard of this before and thought it was a rather slick idea. I bought a rifle once that had a bad rust ring near the breech I could not see with a bore light. Apparently it was left loaded for too long in a humid climate. The only way it would shoot worth a darn was with heavy loads or extra wadding to get the ball seated ahead of the rust ring.

Dixie Gun Works does, or did sell bore mirrors.

If you use the SUPER-RAYZ flashlight bought at O'RIELLY'S auto parts you put the light in towards the breech and I don't have any problem seeing the breech, also it will work at least as small as a .32 caliber..................watch yer top knot..................

I have those bore mirrors, one marked .45 and one marked .50; got them at a gun show. If you can buy some aluminun rod stock it should be easy to make some mirrors.

Also, have used empty nickeled .22 magnum and .38 Special cases.

My brass battery operated light will not go down .45 bores so it is nice to have other options.

a friend of mine has one of the little brass bore lights and when he unscrews the knurled ring from the end it will fit a 45cal bore. forget what it was called but i bought a small pencil-like light at o'reilly's auto parts that would probably fit in a 243. it has a small hole on the endpiece that you can put a string through and lower it light first and is small enough to see around to check breech area of about any muzzleloader except maybe a 32caliber. for what it's worth, bubba.

Bubba , you can see around them you just have to work at it a little.....................watch yer top knot..............

I made a small caliber bore light by cutting off a pencil and attaching some alumifoil with glue. drop it down the bore and shine a light down the bore. cheap and it works.

bubba.50 said:
a friend of mine has one of the little brass bore lights and when he unscrews the knurled ring from the end it will fit a 45cal bore. forget what it was called but i bought a small pencil-like light at o'reilly's auto parts that would probably fit in a 243. it has a small hole on the endpiece that you can put a string through and lower it light first and is small enough to see around to check breech area of about any muzzleloader except maybe a 32caliber. for what it's worth, bubba.

I went to O'Reilly's yesterday and bought one. Really neat and very bright. About $10.00. Replacement batteries are almost as much. :shocked2: Yes, it is great. I tried first on my Brown Bess which had been in storage for several years and made my patch very rusty when I swabed it. Fearing the worst, I was pleased to see the bore is still smooth, no pits, and rust free.

Back