• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spanish smooth bores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those trade gun aspects are what I like about it. Might make a fun little project while you are saving those fowler pennies. Let us know if you end up with it. If the price is right it would make a great general purpose/truck gun. Probably a lot of fun in the squirrel/rabbit woods too.

Those trade gun aspects are what I like about it. Might make a fun little project while you are saving those fowler pennies. Let us know if you end up with it. If the price is right it would make a great general purpose/truck gun. Probably a lot of fun in the squirrel/rabbit woods too.
Will keep you all posted. He’s been interested in a knife from me so we might do a little horse trading.

I've got a Spanish flintlock 28 gauge I picked up on gunbroker for a little over $100 back in 2014. It looks like the percussion gun in the video linked above only hasn't had the barrel chopped off. I'm guessing around a 28 inch barrel. Half stock like the one in the video. When I bought it the seller neglected to mention it would not stay at full cock. But I bought a flintlock shotgun in otherwise excellent condition for a hundred bucks so I didn't complain. Stuck it back in the safe and, just recently, got it out and pulled the lock. Gonna try to get it running but may have to look on the forum for advice as I have never worked on a flintlock action before. Anywho,,, I don't remember the brand and all I recall seeing stamped on the barrel were some proof marks. I believe it to be made by a company that made Mendi pistols. They show up on gunbroker from time to time. I think there is one on there now in .41. I also had a full stocked rifle in .36 for a while that was made by the same people. Ugliest thing you ever saw but it was a great shooter. They do exist but are getting harder to come by. If his price is right it might be nice to have.
I once bought a used Spanish percussion rifle that needed a lot of TLC. The hammer would also not stay at full cock. I disassembled the gun, including the lock. I cleaned everything, oiled all parts and reassembled it. Lo and behold everything worked perfectly then.

I have one of the spanish made 28 gauge shotguns that Dixie sold in the sixties. It is "rough" but usable and has accounted for many rabbits. When I got it I could shoot it for 2&1/2 cents a shot, vs 12 cents for a twelve gauge shell. Back than it was a no brainer to use the 28 gauge.
I remember those also. They were in Dixie's catalog. My buddy bought one. Looked very similar to the one in post #2 above, with the blond colored stock and small cap box in the butt stock. It was back in the mid-1960's.

Rick

Back