• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charleston, SC "silversmith" gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcam020

Pilgrim
Reaction score
First, let me apologize, since this my first post and I'm hitting everyone up for information. I just found your website.

Here is the short story. I have my great grandfather's gun. It is a double barrel, percussion cap, muzzelloader. It has engravings on both sides that read as follows: "Gregg Hayden & Co.". On the top of the barrels it is engraved "Charleston, SC". I've done some cursory research on the web and apparently this company was in business between 1843 and 1855 as silversmiths, but I have yet to find any reference that they made any guns. Does anyone out there know anything about them?

Thanks in advance.

Marty

Welcome, I do not know about the rifle but maybe it was for a guard? Is it a shotgun?

See if the Charleston Historical Society can find the firm in a city directory from those years. Their listing will show the type of business/goods that they were best known for handling. Many firms sold goods that they did not make, but merely caused to be labeled with their name, including guns. A recent example would be Sears with the "J. C. Higgins brand" shotguns & 22s.

Coot is very likely right. A variety of double barrel shotguns from England and Belgium (of a wide variety of grades) were sold under the name of various hardware stores and other retailers in the States. Actually they still are. Coot correctly notes JC Higgins, and we could add Cabela's, LL Bean, Browning, and Abecrombie and Fitch (Griffin and Howe today).

During the 1840's and 50's virtually all double shotguns had laminated steel barrels, which were produced by an even smaller number of barrel makers.

As mentioned above, they were probably importing guns from Europe and reselling them with their name added, still being done as also noted above. On some occasions, such a company also added he ornamental decoration as well. Adding silver, gold, brass & bronze "pretties" increased the desirability of firearms, then as now.

Back