• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I believe this is a Kentucky Long Rifle converted from flintlock to percussion cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewisj

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I was gifted this rifle as a wedding gift and being passed through my wifes family. From my research I've done I do believe it is a Kentucky Long Rifle that has been converted to percussion. I have not been able to find anything about the engraving on top of the barrel that reads "Hickman Luidor" from what I can tell. The information about this gun is very limited and this is my first antique firearm in my collection. I'm very green and looking for as much information on this so I can document it and hopefully hand it down to my children in the future. Thank you in advance for any info!

Attachments

• IMG-6029 (1).jpg
    IMG-6029 (1).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG-6027 (1).jpg
    IMG-6027 (1).jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG-6028 (1).jpg
    IMG-6028 (1).jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG-6025 (1).jpg
    IMG-6025 (1).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG-6024 (1).jpg
    IMG-6024 (1).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 130
I don't see any indication on the lock plate that it was ever a flint. Some generalities: Round tail locks are usually from the post flint era and the same for locks held in place by one lock bolt. Overall it seems to be in nice shape but do be careful not to overclean it.

Photos taken against a light background tend to show the detail better and if possible run them through your computer's photo editing program too.

I was gifted this rifle as a wedding gift and being passed through my wifes family. From my research I've done I do believe it is a Kentucky Long Rifle that has been converted to percussion. I have not been able to find anything about the engraving on top of the barrel that reads "Hickman Luidor" from what I can tell. The information about this gun is very limited and this is my first antique firearm in my collection. I'm very green and looking for as much information on this so I can document it and hopefully hand it down to my children in the future. Thank you in advance for any info!
This is a very beautiful rifle with striking architecture. It's a late rifle, probably form 1845-1870. It being signed is always a plus.
There are people that may can identify the maker and region. You may want to join the KRA...Kentucky Rifle Association or the CLA...Contemporary Longrifle Associatiopn..
To me it looks like a 1850s rifle.... Western PA, possibly KY, into Ohio.

Do not clean it!!!!

Appears someone was very happy that you married your wife besides you. Terribly nice rifle, can't see any real evidence it was a flint ignition, though smiths were crafty and perfectionist in that rifle's younger days.

Latest posts

Back