• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Char cloth - face-palm

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canute Rex

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I cooked up some char cloth yesterday in a tin in my woodstove. It looked great, but it had shrunk strangely in the tin.

I tried out a piece. I struck sparks on it until my fingers were sore. Frustrated, I stuck a piece of fresh char cloth into the flame of my propane range. It glowed red, but when I pulled it out the glow disappeared. I put it in the flame again, and again it glowed and went out.

:doh:

I realized that the old shirt I had cut the patches from was made of fire retardant cloth.

Lesson learned.

Had some 100% cotton old t shirt. I cut it up and made some rag tinder and had it in my tinder box at the Nathen Boone home homesteader days a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't get it to catch a spark to save my soul. Last time it was washed it was done with fabric softener and dried with dryer cloths with the rest of the clothing. Worked ok with a glass but sparks just bounced off. Luckily no toured the saw me struggling to get a spark :redface: :haha:

Canute said:

I realized that the old shirt I had cut the patches from was made of fire retardant cloth.

Lesson learned.
And :wink: :haha: there you have it!

Pete G said:
Wes/Tex said:
Canute said:

Lesson learned.
And :wink: :haha: there you have it!

But at least you met OSHA standards for workplace safety. :wink:
I could do with some of that for going to English Heritage events to go along with the Safety Wood they provide! :haha:

It's a great excuse: "I'm not bad at starting a fire. I'm just safety conscious. I use a mild steel striker, a dull piece of limestone, fire retardant charcloth, and well soaked wood. No chance of burn injuries whatsoever."

Latest posts

Back