• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Champagne bottle powder horn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one thing that comes to mind would be the possibility of the concentration of the suns rays thru the glass if any were left exposed. Say you hang your bottle on a post and as the sun moves across the sky and if the situation is just right it could cause a magnifying effect. Just saying that because once I had a cracked window in my house and it created a prysm effect which actually started to char my blinds. I know its a one in a million kinda thing but...

Well I have as much a right to post on this sight as anyone else. If you find my post to be so ignorant that you must make negative comments toward me then that is on you. Thats why people are reluctant to join these conversations because they are afraid thy will be belittled by the know it alls.

I only carry factory full Champaigne bottles and only carry them till their empty :haha:

I had a customer years ago that had a home based business of kiln melting wine bottles into off shapes.. lots of spoon holders but one was a half melted flatish bottle that would lend itself well to a leather wrapped powderhorn. Neat idea.

I guess the only thing that comes to mind is droppin it an breakin it.
I've learned I'm a Klutz, and by knowing that I try to stay away from things that might hurt me,,
Broken glass is one of those things. :doh:

Fisher71 said:
The one thing that comes to mind would be the possibility of the concentration of the suns rays thru the glass if any were left exposed. Say you hang your bottle on a post and as the sun moves across the sky and if the situation is just right it could cause a magnifying effect.
I wonder if wearing eyeglasses outdoors could burn your eyes? :shocked2:

My concern would be what would happen should you accidentally ignite the powder. A traditional horn going off is bad enough, but seems to end in mostly burns/lost digits. A thick glass bottle going up would add a bunch of nasty shrapnel into the mix.

Make something similar with a shoulder strap.

(Be sure to tether the cork) :wink:

il_570xN.379173616_nldk.jpg

Campagne bottle would be big. A nice flat whiskey bottle might be better suited.

Doubt you'd be the first to go afield with a whiskey bottle full of powder.

As I recall, there are a couple of glass bottles used as either powder flasks or to hold shot illustrated in Jim Webb's book on Southern Appalachian accouterments. I believe that these are all 19th century items when factory made small glass bottles became common for patent medicines, condiments, etc. I doubt that their muzzleloading use was restricted to the Appalachians. Re a champagne bottle, I would think it way too big, way too heavy and subject to breakage as well. A horn would be lighter, less subject to breakage and fit any time period. If you do want to go with a glass bottle, I suggest something much smaller & then covered in leather.

When I was a young fellow my neighbor had some gallon jugs of cleaning fluid along with some cardboard in the back of his pickup sitting in the sun. I happened to look next door and saw smoke rising from the back of his truck. Ran over and saw the cardboard on fire. Saved his truck. It can happen.

sidelock said:
When I was a young fellow my neighbor had some gallon jugs of cleaning fluid along with some cardboard in the back of his pickup sitting in the sun. I happened to look next door and saw smoke rising from the back of his truck. Ran over and saw the cardboard on fire. Saved his truck. It can happen.
Most likely that was due to the liquid in the jugs, not the glass itself. It's hard to do with an empty bottle.

[youtube]QwQJ-3pZfwc[/youtube]

An exploding bottle is of course my main concern even a metal flask would produce nasty explosion shrapnel. But if proper loading procedures are followed - transfer powder from horn to measureing device to muzzle then the possibility of such an explosion would be eliminated.

Champagne bottles are always made with dark coloured glass and if wraped in a leather jacket to block out sun light and cushion bumps or falls it should be vastly more durable than an actual powder horn made out of horn.

It is the durability of natural horn powder horns that has me thinking of building something more able to withstand being sat on, dropped, squished by a heavy object, age cracking etc...

My first and only horn I built in 1977 and I can see marks and a pressure crack that I glued long ago. I know an actual powder horn is probably the lightest to carry, that alone is huge plus in favor of just constructing another horn. Now the Internet exists with so much information and shops that have specialized parts the job should much easier now.

Like you say, the champagne bottle will be pretty heavy and it can be fragile. But if you wrap it in leather, it ought to work. The opening in the neck is waaay too large so you will have to devise a way to reduce the size of the opening. I suppose you could make it work and you would very likely be the only kid on the block carrying their powder in a champagne bottle.....but, WHY??? You could buy an unfinished horn and finish yourself for about the cost of the leather to cover your bottle. Every once in a while TOW puts their horns on sale and I have seen a plain ready to go horn sell for as little as $12.

Back