• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers English Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Suri

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello I am seriously thinking of purchasing Chambers English Fowler as I own several of his guns and love them ! This may seem backwards but I own a great Rapine bag mold in .735 which I know I can't buy again that I bought for my Pedersoli Bess. I was told that the fowler only is available in 10 or 12 gage (no longer in 11 gage) and I was wondering what the members would suggest. I don't think the 12 ga will work (too tight bore) and I'm sure the 10 would work but I would need an extra thick patch. Any thoughts ? Thanks !!

may seem backwards

Yep. Have a mould, getting a gun made to match. :hmm:
Sorta like finding a button and getting a suit made to match. :youcrazy:
Or, just get the gun you really want and have Jeff Tanner make a mould that will work in it. Then you can put your Rapine mould on a shelf and admire it forever. :grin:

targets001.jpg
targets003.jpg
Great gun. I've built 3 of them. With a jug choke, a real turkey buster.
Seems like I used .750 balls though in 10ga.
First 5 shots out of new barrel with jug choke and round ball, 11 kill pellets at 50 yards.

You can get a .690 lee mold for shooting a patched round ball in a 12ga for less than $20.

100 gr of 1F, .690 ball out of a Lee mold with around .25 ticking. Cloverleaf at 25yds, the other visible holes were from before I hit on the right load.

You didn't read my post closely. I shot a variety of loads which were all over the place as the target shows.

I tried a combination that Waddlebuster recommended and the cloverleaf was the result, I finally got it right with his help. Every time I shot this load I got the same result.The target in the picture was my first time out that day, I took a picture to share with my local smooothie friends because I was so happy with the result. I was about to come to the conclusion that my jug choked fowler wouldn't shoot round balls worth a hoot.

There were a lot of previous days of shooting, lower loads of 2F, 1F,.690 balls .700 balls, 710 balls, bare balls, tow patched balls and balls with various patch thicknesses. I was getting 1ft groups with all of the above

I was hitting a little low and left so I tapped my rear sight over a little. I was just about out of front sight to file off so I raised my load to 110 gr of 1F and raised the group to where it needed to be.

See that hole in his neck, right where I wanted it to be at 25 yards. Like I said I got the load right.

IMHO, it only undermines his position if:

A. You don't read the complete post, (which happens here all the time), or

B. You don't believe what the person posting says, (which happens here from time to time.)

Eric, nothing wrong with that shooting, I had ground venison this evening, but alas, I took the doe with my iron sighted 44 mag carbine...this year I swear I'm getting a deer with my smokepole!

Eterry

You didn't read my post closely. I shot a variety of loads which were all over the place as the target shows.

I did....I just didn't make my own point with success. Sorry about that.
Your second post does an excellent job of explaining. :v

I don't get your point Clyde, lighten up. you got on my case for sharing smoothbore load information, all totally uncalled for.

The point I was trying to make was....
Imagine if you turned that target in for competition or a postal match...
It would either be disqualified or all bullet hole would be counted....
I wasn't trying to "get on your case" about anything.
I was simply offering friendly advice about target presentation.

I apologize for doing it poorly...
I also understand that you were just practicing.... and I must say that is fine shooting. :v

All is well.

The thing is; I had shot so many times over the previous days I was expecting to see the same lousy group as before. I don't get serious about using an actual target unless I think I can shoot a good group.

In this case I put up a big piece of cardboard, at least 24x24 and actually missed it with some of my previous loads.

I shot my first shot with the new load, with so many holes I thought I missed the whole target and took another shot, I saw the cloverleaf start then and took a third shot, then I knew I had it.

The shot in the picture under the orange sticker that isn't Xed out is the last shot I took that day after adjusting the rear sight, I went too far and knocked it back some for later test shooting.

Correct....and he is not in the context that you presume....there are aspects of the conversation that you are not privy to....

Lets get the conversation back on topic.... :thumbsup:

blkpowdermike said:
Sounds Great ! I don't know who Burton is though. Sorry

Charles Burton. FCI barrels. Great barrels any way you want them made :thumbsup: . Just goggle FCI barrels

Eric, great video, I plan on watching the rest of his asap. I'm really looking forward to building a Fowler, I worked on my early Lancaster today, started sanding.

Using stout loads with a bare ball in a Fowler makes sense, it should deform to seal the bore.

Thanks for the info.

Dane, ball or shot that's some great shooting, dead bird either way

Back