• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI cap problems

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Maier

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had any problems with CCI caps fitting the nipple on your pistol or rifle? I recently picked up a Pietta 1860 Army and I've thus far used CCI #10 caps. I'm beginning to believe that CCI has quality control issues because between different tins of the same cap number, they are either too tight and require a hammer blow to seat it before a second on sets it off, or they are loose to the point where they fall off under recoil. However, when I tried Remington #10 caps, it worked without a hitch.

MattM01 said:
Has anyone ever had any problems with CCI caps fitting the nipple on your pistol or rifle? I recently picked up a Pietta 1860 Army and I've thus far used CCI #10 caps. I'm beginning to believe that CCI has quality control issues because between different tins of the same cap number, they are either too tight and require a hammer blow to seat it before a second on sets it off, or they are loose to the point where they fall off under recoil. However, when I tried Remington #10 caps, it worked without a hitch.

No, buy CCI #11s.

If Remington #10s fit, keep using them. There is no uniformity between brands of percussion caps except for Winchester and CCI. I have read that Winchester caps are made by CCI.

Remington #10s are the only ones that fit my ROAs.

The first thing I do with a new Italian revolver is replace the nipples with Ampco nipples for #11 caps. Two reasons: the OEM nipples are often not very high quality and #11 caps are much more readily available.

A third reason: the original nipples, particularly for Uberti, are often grossly over-tightened in the factory. Even when new and unfired, you may need to use an easy-out tool.

dcriner said:
The first thing I do with a new Italian revolver is replace the nipples with Ampco nipples for #11 caps. Two reasons: the OEM nipples are often not very high quality and #11 caps are much more readily available.

A third reason: the original nipples, particularly for Uberti, are often grossly over-tightened in the factory. Even when new and unfired, you may need to use an easy-out tool.
Yep!

As for the caps ...
Just stick with the Remington #10's if you can. They are my favorite cap. They fit on every nipple I have from #10's to an old #12 nipple I have in the shooting box. The also fire on first hammer drop.
The design of the Remington cap is better than the the cci caps.

Yes, I have had the same issues. Switched to Remington #10s about 5 years ago,no more issues.

Remington #10's fit all of my Pietta revolvers fine, but i haven't been able to find them locally for about a year, just limited quantities of CCI # 11's, which i have to pinch to keep them on the Pietta nipples.

At the risk of being accused of not doing my homework, does anyone know the thread pattern that is used for the Pietta revolvers? I promise I'll write it down and then go buy some of the Ampco #11 nipples for my gun.

Just call the folks at Track Of The Wolf and tell them which revolver you have and they will send you the correct nipples. They have most all nipples and can tell you which ones you need. I have found them to be very helpful. I once had a revolver that they said that particular manufacturer had used various nipple threads. They had me send them one of the nipples from the revolver. In a few days, I got a small package from them with the correct size nipples plus the one that I sent them.

You could also purchase ampco nipples from Don at the Possibles Shop. He is a sponsor of this board and is fairly close to you in Roswell, New Mexico.

I ran into something like this a while back. Remington #11 and CCI #11 are not the same size. Try both to determine which size you need and then buy more than you ever think you can use.

Weather you use #10`s or 11`s, the CCI caps are longer than the Remington caps. That`s why when using the CCI caps you have to hit them twice. The first blow knocks them all the way down on the nipple & the second blow fires it. If you don`t believe me measure them.

Folks should remember, there are no real, fixed standards for caps or nipples.

To make matters worse, they all have tolerances so they can vary from whatever nominal size they are made to.

Most of the caps from one company will be very close to the same size so, if a person finds a brand that works they should stick with it if they can.

If they can't and the new caps don't fit the nipple, it isn't uncommon for the owner to lightly file the nipples cone to get a fit that works better.

I tried the cci no.10 caps on my Ruger Old Army. had to run them around the gun twice. once to seat the caps, the second to actually shoot. never did have one go off on the first hammer strike.

still have most of that tin. gonna see if they work any better on my Pietta 44cal 1860 Army & 1862 army police 36cal.

I have had problems with primers of all makes fitting the nipple on my CVA Hawken rifle. While the primers went on the nipple apparently they did not seat far enough on the nipple so that when the hammer hit the primer it did not go off since the nipple was not seated hard up against the nipple tip.

This problem was corrected by filing the sides of the nipple to make its diameter a little smaller. Once done the primer became fully hard seated on the nipple tip and fired every time.

If you are only have a problem with a particular brand of primers then it sounds as if it is a primer problem and not with the nipple.

If you can measure the caps with a micrometer or vernier caliper to determine its exact dimension. This will give you the answer. Also make certain that the very small primer cap inside the metal cap is in fact there. Sometimes they fall out of the metal cap.

The M6x x .75 fit my Pietta perfectly. Those are the Ampco ones that I bought. Works with #11 caps.

The CCI caps are longer than the Rem caps. That`s why they don`t fit. Take your nipple out & turn it in a drill by the threads while filing it down a little & the CCI`s will fit.

I've installed Ampco nipples on several guns, and use #11 CCI and Remington caps interchangeably, with no problems.

The quality of #10 nipples used by both gunmakers is hit or miss. I have enough Pietta and Uberti revolvers to be able to measure and sort the nipples into uniform groups. Whether Remington or CCI caps, I base my preference on cost - to me they all fit and perform well.

If you are having problems with #10 caps, I'm going to guess that you are one of the lucky people who have European made nipples and they are just a tiny bit undersize when compared to American made nipples. Use a micrometer to compare the size of your nipples with some that you know to be made in the U.S.. If they are undersized, you will probably need to replace them. If that is the situation, given the short supply of #10 caps right now, I'd simply replace them with some #11 Ampco nipples from Track of The Wolf. You will need to know your thread size when you order since thread sizes can vary. Even better, send them one of your nipples to match up and they will be able to send you the correct nipples and they will return the nipple that you send to them.

Back