• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

caywood wilson ordered

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewho66

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I ordered a Wilson from Caywood don't know how long its going to take but I also didn't ask. It will be in maple 41 1/2 inch barrel with brass but,sideplate, and ram rod finials. Ive seen a 36inch barreled one and liked it but wanted the longer barrel. It will also come with 2 barrels one 20gauge and the other in .50cal. I do have a question though, jugg choking whats the best compromise? Modified or improved? Let me know.

John

The locks by Mike Rowe are among the best IMHO. I have built many a NW fusil with his trade gun locks. I think you made the right choice to go with the longer barrel, too.

Get 'er dirty as soon as ya get 'er and let us know how she shoots. :thumbsup:

Brother, I have a Caywood Wilson in 20 gauge and not only is it a good looking piece, it's a shooter, a sparker and a quality arm. Mine's stained very dark and I put a leather sling on it. It shoots RB very well and shot patterns up nicely, too. You will not be sorry you ordered one. Congratulations.

Oh. I believe mine's a modified choke, but I'm not real sure, as I mostly shoot RBs. Sorry. :confused:

I have one, also. Mine is .62, with a 42" barrel, straight cylinder bore. Mine is a lefty. I bought it "in the white" about 10 years ago. I put a cherry finish on the stock, so it has a reddish look to it. I also have a sling attached to it.
I use a patched .60 round ball over 70grs. of 3F and find that load plenty accurate enough for deer out to about 50 yards. However, I have a life size cardboard charging Redcoat soldier that I can usually hit, somewhere, with my fusil from 100 yards.
I've never done much work with it using small shot. I really should take some time and work up a good shot load for it.

when she shows up I will post pic's right now I just want it to show up, but still have atleast till April :( :(
John

Have the same thing. Shoot .600 round ball, 70 grs FFF and a .010 patch with a 1/8th shot card over the powder. Extremely accurate out to 75 yds. Beyond that it's "hit and miss". You will be pleased with your choice and the wait is worth it.

...i have one in lefty and like it, looks good and never fails to ignite...reliable out to 25 yds for me...best results are "instinctive" shooting ...lop too long and shape of stock make it difficult to aim... :v

I dont think I will have a problem with lenth of pull since I am 6'3" on a medium frame.

John

I just finished a 20 ga. and had it jugged mod. haven't shot it yet, waitin fur the snow ta go away.
Dusty

Let me know how it goes since the snow should stop before I get mine. I have all the cards and wads now, we had a muzzleloading show about an hour away. Could kick my self I forgot to get .600 and .610 round balls though.

John

Back