• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cased Big Bang Dragoons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolfkt

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finished a cased pair of dragoon style pistols. Once in a while a project actually gets finished!!!

Pistols
The barrels were made from a used 20mm Vulcan cannon barrel. Then brass was bougth from muzzelloader building suppiles. Standard dragoon butt cap. The spurs had to be straigthen and modified to fit the Stock.
French dragoon triggerguard. Sideplate is from a Fowler. Lock is Chambers round face Colonial (rifle Lock). The stock blanks are curly English walnut from Dunlop. The finish is Chambers oil. Hickory ramrods

The small round ball is caliber 54 , the other the pistol amo, caliber 82.

Case.
The case is made from cherry, following Smart Dogs tutorial. It is lined with cotton baize and glued with pearl(hide) glue, bought from Peter Dyson, England. The brass hinges are from Brusso. All other brass fittings turned/filed from brass stock. I did not put a lock on the case because I always lose the keys. These pistols are large and heavy (almost 2kilos each), therefore the handles on the side of case. I was afraid the lid would not take the weight. The compartment lids are made from amboyine burl and cherry.

Best regards
Rolf

That is just so cool. What's the twist on those barrels anyway. Seems like they would be just about right for a RB pistol barrel.

Wonderful Job !!!! I've always had a soft spot for smooth bore flint pistols. Great looking pair and workmanship. Congratulations.

Rick

What a wonderful set, and excellent craftsmanship, too !

:bow: :bow: :bow:

You should be very proud of them (color me green with envy). :v

ricky said:
Wonderful Job !!!! I've always had a soft spot for smooth bore flint pistols. Great looking pair and workmanship. Congratulations.

Rick

A close look at the pic of the business end of those barrels clearly shows rifling. He doesn't say what the twist is.

Back in the '70s I met a man who had built a rifle using a surplus 20 mm barrel. It would have been pre vulcan and had gain twist. I don't recall if he told me what the powder charge was but he shot a massive minie (have one and I'll weigh it when I get a chance) and the torque reaction when the ball engaged the rifing tended to rotate the rifle which he could easily see.

Rolf,

Not only splendid work, but I also note the grip angle of those pistols would make them much more comfortable to shoot than some of the period straighter grip pistols. A period Dragoon/Cavalry Trooper would REALLY have appreciated that!!

Gus

Back