• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carving tool/Dixon's.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a carving tool in his shop the other day. It was made of wood and had a metal collet at the front that accepted blades from an Xacto kit. It was a very nice knife that fit the hand well. He claimed that he got it at Dixon's muzzleloading shop. Dixon's website doesn't show products on it and I'm curious if anyone knows if they still sell that sort of knife.

No, I haven't called yet. I'm on the road this weekend and just don't have an opportunity and was curious if anyone else is using the tool. As far as going there, I really need to one of these days. I think it's only about 5 hours from my house and I could probably combine some other chores to kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks for the help guys. It actually looked more like the Warren tool than the flex cut, but the one I saw actually had a small brass piece on top of the blade that you could rest your index finger on for downward pressure. I'll call Dixon's on Monday and see if they know, but that Warren kit might be an acceptable option as well.

No, I haven't called yet. I'm on the road this weekend and just don't have an opportunity and was curious if anyone else is using the tool. As far as going there, I really need to one of these days. I think it's only about 5 hours from my house and I could probably combine some other chores to kill two birds with one stone.
The Dixons are on vacation until Monday, 8/16. I am certain that will have something of that nature (or know where to get it).

I just spoke to someone at Dixon's and after I described the knife, she claimed it was a Mascot Precision Tools knife. I can't find a photo of the knife anywhere online and she said that they don't presently have them in stock. manure, really wanted to get one (or more).

I just spoke to someone at Dixon's and after I described the knife, she claimed it was a Mascot Precision Tools knife. I can't find a photo of the knife anywhere online and she said that they don't presently have them in stock. manure, really wanted to get one (or more).

Here's what I could find. The handle appears to be wood but I can't really tell.

Mascot Heavy Duty Precision Knife, Item No. H5

I did see an image of that one, but no, that's not the knife I'm referring to. The one that I saw really did look like the Warren carving knives, but it had a different brass collet and a brass plate for your index finger which allowed downward pressure. I described it to the women that I spoke with at Dixon's and she knew exactly what I was referring to, so hopefully if I ordered it sight unseen, I'd get the knife that I was expecting.

I did see an image of that one, but no, that's not the knife I'm referring to. The one that I saw really did look like the Warren carving knives, but it had a different brass collet and a brass plate for your index finger which allowed downward pressure. I described it to the women that I spoke with at Dixon's and she knew exactly what I was referring to, so hopefully if I ordered it sight unseen, I'd get the knife that I was expecting.
I did some more poking around. I'm beginning to suspect they no longer make the one your fiend has which is why we can't find it.

You're probably right, but again, she knew precisely what I was referring to and I described it as a wood-handled carving knife with a brass collet for tightening in an "X-acto" style blade and a small brass piece on top of the blade to exert downward pressure while carving. Hopefully if it's not being manufactured anymore that I can at least find some new/old stock.

You're probably right, but again, she knew precisely what I was referring to and I described it as a wood-handled carving knife with a brass collet for tightening in an "X-acto" style blade and a small brass piece on top of the blade to exert downward pressure while carving. Hopefully if it's not being manufactured anymore that I can at least find some new/old stock.
Good luck. :thumb:

I found one on Amazon for $24. Says 3 left.

You found one of what? The Mascot Precision tools knife with a wood handle? Any chance you can post the link or a photo. I've found some stuff that comes up on an Amazon search for such, but it's not the knife that I'm looking for. I think if I don't find one soon that I'll likely just purchase one of the Warren knives/sets.

Just checked that Warren Cutlery site and found one that's a very close match to what I was looking for, but unfortunately it says it's sold out and they apparently either aren't making any more or they aren't allowing you to order one and place it on backorder. It's the handle #JW 3.75 Wood. I'm not sure that it would necessarily work any better than any of these other options, but I like the brass piece that the blade sits in because you can apply down pressure to the blade itself, not just the handle. It does say that it only accepts some of their blades, but that would be fine by me. I'm going to order one of the other small sets to see if I like it and if I do, I'll contact Warren to see if I can backorder one of the JW 3.75 Wood handles. Thanks for everyone's advice and ideas.

Back