• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying Pre-Lubed Patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wirehairman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the best way to carry pre-lubed patches, whether bought that way or pre-lubed a few days before shooting? I have mine in a small ziploc bag right now but figure there is a better/more PC method.

find someone who uses smokeless tobacco,get them to save the containers, i like the plastic best, they ain't PC but they dont rust either.

TTC

I have used the altoid tins like xxgrampa said at matches. They look more PC than anything else. But when I go out hunting, I use a plastic 35mm film canister. They are small, hold a lot of patches and are air/water tight. They will keep your patches fresh for weeks.

I use Copenhagen cans. If anyone wants one, I have 10,000 of them in the back of my truck. Feel free to grab one at any time.

Headhunter

I like a small Whitmans' chocolate tin. It's a bit deeper but not quite so long as an Altoids tin. It carries my patches as well as a ball screw, tow worm, extra cards and a few square cut nails.

For carrying pre-cut pre-lubed patches I just put a short stack of 'em in an empty cap tin. That will hold about 30 patches, usually that's plenty for a day of shooting for me. Le Grand

I used to put them in tube like position and run
a needle with a good enough thread attached through all the centers, the knot at the end of the
thread held them..The needle was removed and that
end of the thread was tied someplace convient. All
I needed to do was pull the bottom one off the knot.
no mess,,no tins, cans or plastic...Try it..easier than you think..

I just stack them up and run a piece of sinew through them and tie it to my bag strap the wax on the sinew will hold them on and then when you need one you just slip it off. I just use spit. but you can use lube if ya want to.

Mine are just loose in the bottom of the bag with the balls.I can grab patch and ball at the same time.

If you or someone you know uses an air rifle, the tin that a lot of pellets come in work good too.

I bought a brass " tin " from Tedd Cash products, about 3 inches in diameter, maybe. It will hold a lot of pre-lubed patches, enough for a couple of weekends. They tarnish up well, and look authentic.

I've been using the same thing for better than 2 years and it looks great and is still clean inside. The steel tins I use for my swabing patches have rusted out and had to be replaced.

I bought the tobacco tin from Ted Cash in German silver. Holds plenty of patches. Two of my shooting bags has a small patch pouch sewn on the inside which I like the best.

I was using the round Altoids sours tins because they aren't hinged. You push down on the little spot and the lid pops off. I had trouble getting the hinged ones to open with greasy fingers.

I've since switched to these cute little round wooden boxes that Dixie carries. A little stain and finish and you can make them match your gun, or give them an aged appearance. They're $2-3 a piece. The small one makes a perfect cap box.

I use round pill boxes, made of wood..Have been for about 25 years, I have several, it's been so long I can't remember where I bought them from...The ones I use are about 1 1/4 inches in diameter and 1 inch high...I put the patches in the bottom and my lube in the cap...

I put mine in a cap tin. Some have round edges and some square, which are easier to get apart. I glued the bottom half onto a piece of leather which is tied to my hunting bag. The lid of the tin I glued a cover of canvas on so it hides it. It holds about 25 lubed patches, but the alcohol dries out in a couple of days, leaving just the Murphy Oil Soap on the patch. Then I re-wet them with my MOS-91% alcohol lube.

Hey wirehairman, :hatsoff:
I used a ziploc bag at first too. While talking to the place I bought my GP, I asked for an idea for holding lubed patches and he suggested a tin he had that was about 1 1/4 inches in dia. and about 1 1/2 deep. It holds 60-70 buttered patches. I use borebutter so rust hasn't been a problem for about ten years now and the tin has darkened over the years. I also picked up a wood round container(tin?) about the same size that I was going to try for patches, but decided to keep extra caps in instead. I put a little beeswax around the lid, and gave it a rubdown with beeswax and it dosen't come open unless I pull hard, but it's waterproof. I think I got the wood tin(?) from Log Cabin Shop.
Have a good one!! :thumbsup:
GRUMPY BEAR

Back