• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying Pre-Lubed Patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a cap tin, but first I make sure it's a good one that opens easily. When I lay a patch in, I fold about a third of it over. the next patch will be folded the same on the opposite side and so on. Holds about ten or so patches fairly loosly. When the lid comes off, the first patch has a little flap that sticks up so it's easy to grab, as do the rest as they are used. I've found if you pack them flat, you'll find yourself trying to peel them apart with with your fingernail. Bill

The way I have done it for years.

P1010003.jpg

Clasp1.jpg

Clasp2.jpg

Madison Grant has a picture of a period bag with the patches threaded on a piece of yarn - but they were probably dry for spit patching.

I roll my pre-lubed six foot strips and carry them in a deerskin pouch that has a beeswax coating inside.

Moosestuff.jpg

I took a small piece of elk leather about 2in X 4in square. I folded it over and sewed two of the sides with some "feax" sinew. I make a stack of about 20 prelubed patches and slide them inside. They stay put. When I need a patch, I reach into my possibles bag and pull this pouch out and get one. It has worked well under real hunting conditions in the field.

Back