• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps Made In Idaho

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see where CCI caps are made in Idaho by a subsidiary of Speer? Can't we get the NMLRA to somehow influence the company to goose up production and distribution of these things? Just wonderin'. Hey, the NRA is also representing black powder shooters, too! BTW, there's a restaurant on the outskirts of Valley Forge Nat'l. Park called The Black Powder Tavern, just sayin'.

Art, i just did numbers on my handy dandy phone calculator.
Suppose they run off 1 million caps (sounds like a lot). That is 10,000 tins. Packed 10 tins to a box is only 1,000 boxes. Divided by 50 states is 20 boxes per state. That really not much.
I guess my point is we would need them to do runs of billions of caps to satisfy the demand.
I dont see it happening.

Keep in mind, the NMLRA can’t influence its own State to host a separate Primitive hunt..
They also couldn’t garner enough signatures for their State to offer a custom/specialty license plate.
Might be best to complain to CCI directly.
I'm rather salty over that we can't get a primitive season here. Rather than control the deer population through expanded opportunities they decimated it with huge bonus antlerless bag limits. Just read next year they are proposing allowing .40 cal muzzleloaders, that's .40 cal inlines though. Always a kick in the pants.

You'd think that CCI would raise the price and make more thus increasing profits. Logical, right? CCI makes caps in a once a year run in the spring. That seems crazy to me given the present demand.

Domestic ammunition and component production is all controlled by one foreign corporation, Vista. Like the others, CCI is owned by Vista, a Czech company. All American smokeless powder is made by General Dynamics. All American black powder is made by Goex. There is no competition. That is bad for us. all. It seems to be part of an agenda.

Also, much of the raw materials and production capacity is being used to support a war in Ukraine. The stuff we give them needs to be replaced in our stock piles. The military get priority over us.

I am not sure as to CCI's logic in creating artificial shortages. In the old days, the manufacturers could tool up to make make more. Today they say that they are concerned that once the market is saturated that they will be stuck with idle machinery. That does not make sense to me.

You'd think some company or individual would step up and make caps. The profit is clearly there. There are some primer start ups but I do not see them getting much done.

One factor is the lack of raw materials. Since covid the supply chain has dried up and nobody cares enough or will allow it to be fixed. My research indicates it is deliberate and artificial. In the end there are much larger forces and agendas at work to prevent you from buying a tin of caps for $10.

https://shoot-on.com/update-czech-company-to-purchase-major-american-ammunition-brands/
https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/list-of-who-actually-makes-smokeless-gunpowders.92319/

Last edited:
You'd think that CCI would raise the price and make more thus increasing profits. Logical, right? CCI makes caps in a once a year run in the spring. That seems crazy to me given the present demand.

Domestic ammunition and component production is all controlled by one foreign corporation, Vista. Like the others, CCI is owned by Vista, a Czech company. All American smokeless powder is made by General Dynamics. All American black powder is made by Goex. There is no competition. That is bad for us. all. It seems to be part of an agenda.

Also, much of the raw materials and production capacity is being used to support a war in Ukraine. The stuff we give them needs to be replaced in our stock piles. The military get priority over us.

I am not sure as to CCI's logic in creating artificial shortages. In the old days, the manufacturers could tool up to make make more. Today they say that they are concerned that once the market is saturated that they will be stuck with idle machinery. That does not make sense to me.

You'd think some company or individual would step up and make caps. The profit is clearly there. There are some primer start ups but I do not see them getting much done.

One factor is the lack of raw materials. Since covid the supply chain has dried up and nobody cares enough or will allow it to be fixed. My research indicates it is deliberate and artificial. In the end there are much larger forces and agendas at work to prevent you from buying a tin of caps for $10.

https://shoot-on.com/update-czech-company-to-purchase-major-american-ammunition-brands/
https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/list-of-who-actually-makes-smokeless-gunpowders.92319/
Good comments, thanks. Remember that hippie-era song, when the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars? That seems to be how they determine when to make caps. I'd guess making caps has the hazard question involved; you need a lot of flammable cap-filler goop! Yeah, the old Colt company and others are foreign-owned, we often forget. The line of smokeless powder is amazingly complex; I don't reload but imagine t time when all such product was un-available! Thanks for your reminder about this.

If we were fighting the Houtis with percussion rifles, we'd suddenly be up to our armpits in caps. The entire cap 'shortage'[subset of primers in general] is a pure contrivance with bogus regulations thwarting any new competitors. Not making a profit at $12-$20 a tin is pure bs. This isn't rocket science. Think of the numbers being pumped out 164 years ago.
Guaranteed that if the feds got out of the way and the industry was regulated by the states, we'd be swimming in caps of all kinds at the prices we are paying. SW

Good comments, thanks. Remember that hippie-era song, when the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars? That seems to be how they determine when to make caps. I'd guess making caps has the hazard question involved; you need a lot of flammable cap-filler goop! Yeah, the old Colt company and others are foreign-owned, we often forget. The line of smokeless powder is amazingly complex; I don't reload but imagine t time when all such product was un-available! Thanks for your reminder about this.
Art, Hodgdon made a mint on surplus WW2 powder for 40 years. In any line of stick, flake or ball powders, the basic component is the same, whether single or double based powder, with added coatings determining the burn rates. They make the base material by the trainload and then apply the coatings. They have been for well over a century. Not something you make at home, but not complex at all by modern manufacturing standards. There was no problem supplying 2 world wars and countless other fiascos. We are looking at regulatory caused shortages with all this stuff and it isn't accidental. SW

Perhaps they know something we don’t, in terms of the future?

Also, at the present time there are wars on three continents with no signs of easing up.

Art, Hodgdon made a mint on surplus WW2 powder for 40 years. In any line of stick, flake or ball powders, the basic component is the same, whether single or double based powder, with added coatings determining the burn rates. They make the base material by the trainload and then apply the coatings. They have been for well over a century. Not something you make at home, but not complex at all by modern manufacturing standards. There was no problem supplying 2 world wars and countless other fiascos. We are looking at regulatory caused shortages with all this stuff and it isn't accidental. SW
Steve, I’m certain you are correct on several levels in this post and your previous post. However, we must admit that we are such a small minority, in terms of caps. We are nothing to them. All indications suggests that with the evil political environment in the world today (there are currently wars on 3 continents at the time with no end in sight and getting worse by the day) the companies making powder, primers, ammo, munitions, etc have enough government contracts to keep them busy for a long time. In short, caps are nothing to them and neither are we.

Also, during WW2 the entire world was at war and I would reckon powder, ammo, munitions and such was a matter of sovereignty and survival. Therefore, many different locations were producing those products.The way I see it is, if TPTB were serious about cutting us back on supplies, they would begin with modern ammo instead of caps.

This situation may or may not be by design, but considering the aforementioned, I wouldn’t be too hopeful it will get better.

IMO, I believe that for those that are not already setting on whatever they need for ML, then they best find some now or indulge into learning how to make their own caps. I would also suggest getting stocked up on powder first.

Unless there is a serious turn around in the fighting around the world, as well as the general political environment, I don’t see things getting any better.

I know what route it’ll be taking.

Last edited:
I'm rather salty over that we can't get a primitive season here. Rather than control the deer population through expanded opportunities they decimated it with huge bonus antlerless bag limits. Just read next year they are proposing allowing .40 cal muzzleloaders, that's .40 cal inlines though. Always a kick in the pants.
You and me both. The bow hunters run things in Indiana. They through a fit when they introduced the youth hunt way back when.

I see where CCI caps are made in Idaho by a subsidiary of Speer? Can't we get the NMLRA to somehow influence the company to goose up production and distribution of these things?
They're all owned by Vista Outdoor, best probably to complain to them directly, as they make the production decisions.
https://vistaoutdoor.com/brands/

Sounds like a business opportunity for some enterprising individuals.

Back