• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps available?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stronics

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Are you able to find percussion caps anywhere? In my area I can't find them period. Used to get as many as needed but not now.
Any ideas......
David

If you are unable to find percussion caps anywhere in your area, you do have one option and that is to buy one of the converters that replaces your existing nipple and allows you to use shotgun primers. They are somewhat of a pain to use and there is the ever present possibility of dropping and loosing the little bitty top portion. But, it is a way to shoot your muzzleloaders until some percussion caps get to your area. This is the doo-hicky that I am talking about http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sc...ries-indoor-209-primer-nipple-conversion.html This is not the only source so shop around at some of the muzzleloading supply stores such as the Log Cabin
Shop in Lodi Ohio, Dixie Gun Works, Track of The Wolf, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you near any of the Fin,Feather fur stores? I got some when I was at their store short time ago.

Okay, after copying and pasting the web add when I click on it it won't open up for some reason. Just google "Sportsmans Warehouse/No 11 Percussion Caps"......They have plenty in stock.........Make good smoke! :grin:

Cabela's usually always keeps caps, but their stores are few and far between. Luckily there's one about 10 mi from my location. Just like powder, caps are always available online, but again, you have to deal with hazmat charges and signing to receive them. It is what it is I guess. this day and time with the way things are I suppose that we're lucky that we can even get the two products at all.

I understand that if you take the time to pull the anvils out of boxer primers that they will work, and they're cheaper than # 10 or # 11 caps. I don't have any information on Berdan primers but suspect that those would work too, and you don't have any anvils to pull.

Around here they are almost always available.
Academy Sports, Cabela's, a couple of local owned shops; for RWS musket caps, I pick them up at Sportsman's Wharehouse when I'm in Columbia.

I just bought a thousand RWS from Blackpowder Inc for $109 which included the hazmat fee. I've always had the best luck with RWS.

You can also order powder at the same time and pay one hazmat fee. (if they can pack it in the same box)

(if they can pack it in the same box)

They can't do that, it's against fed DOT regs. If you order both they ship separately and you pay hazmat twice.

I stand corrected, packed into one shipment.

Check their website, here's what they say.

"Order the caps and pay a hazmat fee for shipping. Order Black Powder and pay a hazmat fee for shipping. But . . if we pack them all into one shipment, the caps and black powder - Whoa, Nelly, there needs only be a single hazmat fee.

Nothing comes for free. So, we are limited in what we can combine into the same box. For one thing, to leave room for caps - only Five (5) and ten (10) pound orders. If you need the full carton, there isn't room for any caps at all. Which puts you back on the regular Black Powder order page. The Diamondback powder and Pinnacle full-case offers don't leave room for caps. Sorry. Diamondback blackpowders and full-case offers are only available on the Black Powder page"

No need to argue with me, this is what Blackpowder Inc. says

"No need to argue with me, this is what Blackpowder Inc. says"

Sorry, but I didn't intend for it to appear that I was making an argument. It's just that I have been told in the past by a supplier that it is illegal to combine caps and powder in the same container for shipping. I suppose I should have made that a little more clear. This is a never ending problem when communicating via social websites, it's really easy to offend when in reality, no offense was ever intended. :surrender:

True.........I've shot a few flinters but never owned one. Not because I don't like 'em, but I guess I've just always figured that caplocks are plenty primitive enough for me.

If you are in North East Ohio check the Log Cabin at Lodi. They are good folks and have been in the black powder business from the beginning of the revival. :idunno: :idunno:

Every Cabelas I've been in the last couple or three years is generally swimming in #10 and #11 caps.

Back