• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Substitute caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a newbie to bp.i can't get #11 caps for my rifle a 45 caliber Italian made Hawkins style .is there any way to change it to a #10 cap?
Have you tried the #10s? Might be surprised. If they don’t fit the existing nipple, get a #10 nipple with correct threads (likely a 6-.75mm, but confirm) for your gun, or consider giving the existing nipple a haircut so the #10s fit.

Generally, #11's are easier to find. I'd trim the nipple down if you have #10's and order a nipple for #11's and 1075's so you can shoot either cap by changing nipples.

These days #10 caps are harder to come by than #11s. I would suggest putting yourself on MidwayUSA's, Graf & Sons and Powder Valley's "NOTIFY ME" list and jump when they come back in stock (they will...for short periods of time.) Also watch the Cabelas website. I scored big-time 2 years ago on #10s and 11s and they were all gone the next day.

Chuck the #11 nipple in a drill by the threads and use a fine file or fine sandpaper glued to a stick to take the size down. Check often and continue until the tens slide all the way onto the nipple. If you accidentally go to far you can squeeze the cap between your fingers a bit to force it out of round so it will stay on.

I have always used toy caps from Cabelas. A schmear into the nipple top of fine powder has always produced a discharge.

Tried the plastic red 8 in a ring caps on my .54 percussion. They went pop, but jammed plastic down into the flash channel etc. and I wasn't able to get a charge to go off.

You are saying a few specks of fine BP right in the nipple, then the plastic cap and it will set off a charge properly?

Also tried a small rifle primer in a bit of air hose tubing for a aquarium or similar, and while it held the primer fine and stayed perfectly in place on the nipple, no pop on either my .54 or my Uberti 1858 clone. Think maybe due to hammer face geometry on the rifle, unsure as to why on the pistol but I think the "stack height" of nipple plus primer is too much compared to nipple plus cap pressed on.

Tried the plastic red 8 in a ring caps on my .54 percussion. They went pop, but jammed plastic down into the flash channel etc. and I wasn't able to get a charge to go off.

You are saying a few specks of fine BP right in the nipple, then the plastic cap and it will set off a charge properly?

Also tried a small rifle primer in a bit of air hose tubing for a aquarium or similar, and while it held the primer fine and stayed perfectly in place on the nipple, no pop on either my .54 or my Uberti 1858 clone. Think maybe due to hammer face geometry on the rifle, unsure as to why on the pistol but I think the "stack height" of nipple plus primer is too much compared to nipple plus cap pressed on.
I have been using the red plastic 8 shot ring caps for years. Lay the caps in their frame on a hard surface. Pick out the paper insert from the back with a pin. Sprinkle a small amount of fine BLACK POWDER into the caps ( between your fingers) until about half full. Compress the powder gently with a match stick and give the powder a good spray with hair spray. Give them a couple of days to dry and use. As good as #11 CCI caps. I carry a couple of pins in my hat brim to remove the little plastic plug that gets occasionally stuck in the top of the nipple after firing. Also I only use BP never substitutes so I cannot say how they would go.

Latest posts

Back