• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap size for lemat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rambler

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok all you lemataholics, finally got a keeper from Dixie, navy model 1st one they sent had a cyliner that was not square to the forcing cone so it was impossible to cock the hammer on #8 and #9...now I am trying the timing on this one with #11 cci caps and everything works ok except all the caps fly off the nipples on the first shot!

What are you guys using??

Rambler

I have a new navy Lemat from Dixie that I have taken to the range only once. I used CCI No. 11 magnum caps and had no problem whatsoever with the .44 chambers. One time, I had to drop the hammer a second time on the shotgun barrel.

No problem with caps coming off.

Maybe you could try another brand of caps??

IMO, there really isn't any good standardization when it comes to the right size for nipples or for caps.

Dixie Gunworks says that #11 caps fit the LeMat but as SJoe pointed not all #11's are the same and some may fit better than others.

If the caps are falling off of the cylinders adjacent nipples due to recoil the first thing I would try is to slightly crush the open end of the caps before installing them.
The idea here is to make them out of round so they pinch the cone on the nipples.

I've done this for years just using my fingers and have yet to have one go off. I think hitting them with a hammer or similar hard tool to make them out of round might be dangerous though.

What Zonie said! :thumbsup:

Until I traded my LeMat a while back, I tried a variety of different caps. Some worked great, some not so much. Just gotta test 'em all out and see what it likes. I found that pinching is usually a good idea.

I also agree that the shotgun barrel offers the biggest chance for misfires. I'd often drop the hammer several times to get it to go off.

Zonie,

Sometimes Luigi doesn't use the right tools to maka da gun. So either you grind'em your nipples (ouch!) or maybe you buy those German RWS size 10 and 3/4 odd-ball caps. They a fit a justa right some of da time :haha: . Some a da time notin fits a right :surrender: Then you buy three sets of 6 nipples to get two fresh change-outs. Now if Luigi can count up to nine, maybe you got all of the same size on each of those 9 nipples??

Either way, recoil shouldn't be a problem since it's not a very light revolver and most owners are shooting 20 grains (or less) of black.

Just my 2 cents.

Merry Christmas,

Dave

My LeMat will take #11 cci and rem.

I have not yet tried #10 caps...

I bought an extra set of 10 nipples for my lemat when I ordered it through Cabela's.

I might try out some Treso #11 Pietta nipples and see how they work as well.

I prefer Rem caps when I can get them.

I'm in the market for a used Navy Lemat, should anyone know of one.

Back