• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap Priming Compound

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just weighed the powders needed to make 30 percussion caps. I use the FA-42 formula(same as the reloader powders without the useless binder baggie). The powders when in the cups are half filling and less than that when pushed down. 16.1 grains will make 30 percussion caps as I make them. According to my Texas Instruments T-1220 calculator That works out to 814 percussion caps per ounce . I wish it came out to more.

H-48 Primer compound formula by weight:

Potassium chlorate 51%
Antimony sulfide 27.3%
Sulfur 9.1%
Glass powder 12.1%
Sodium bicarbonate trace (optional)
Aluminum powder trace (optional)

Or go to ebay, search "priming compound". It'll be at the top of the page.
Thanks

I have the 22 sharpshooter set up but given the poor performance of the binder I'd just as soon leave it out but I can't be sure of which bag it is. Anyone know how to identify it? 🤔

The small bag with the off white powder is the supposed binder. Just measure out with the scoop like normal but leave out the binder. It will work fine and likely with more power without that filler. Just use some other binder like has been talked about.
I'm surprised that nobody has commented about how much less priming charges we are likely to get out of a kit. Less than half than talked about.

I'm surprised that nobody has commented about how much less priming charges we are likely to get out of a kit. Less than half than talked about
Thanks for the tip on the binder ID.

One reason for fewer than what they talk about is the recommendation of using the small scoop half full. I know that I found that to be near impossible to maintain a consistent amount. I quickly change to using a small rifle primer with the anvil removed. It makes a very energetic cap. I could reduce the amount of compound somewhat and still have a good primer. Just haven't come up with a replacement so far.

I use a cut in half red plastic toy cap gun cap Usually found in ring s for toy revolvers. Glued to a matchstick. Half size for sidelock rifles and 1/3 size for the revolvers. I have found that too much power in the revolvers fragment the cup leading to a lot of problems. .005 36ga brass is about perfect for the revolvers as that will not fragment and stays on the nipples. I use double pop can cups for the rifles.

I use a cut in half red plastic toy cap gun cap Usually found in ring s for toy revolvers. Glued to a matchstick. Half size for sidelock rifles and 1/3 size for the revolvers. I have found that too much power in the revolvers fragment the cup leading to a lot of problems. .005 36ga brass is about perfect for the revolvers as that will not fragment and stays on the nipples. I use double pop can cups for the rifles.

Where do you find .005" brass sheet? I want to try that and see if I can get better revolver caps.

Nobade and anyone that is interested. I used K&S Soft Brass Stock No 6010 36 gauge 12" X 30". That's 360 square inches and could make as many as 1440 cups. I had to use a little paste wax on the side that becomes the inside of the cup.The formed cups didn't want to come off of the post in the die without it. When I used soft copper the problem was worse. I ordered mine off of Amazon

Nobade and anyone that is interested. I used K&S Soft Brass Stock No 6010 36 gauge 12" X 30". That's 360 square inches and could make as many as 1440 cups. I had to use a little paste wax on the side that becomes the inside of the cup.The formed cups didn't want to come off of the post in the die without it. When I used soft copper the problem was worse. I ordered mine off of Amazon
Thanks! I'm going to try some.

Thanks for the tip on the binder ID.

One reason for fewer than what they talk about is the recommendation of using the small scoop half full. I know that I found that to be near impossible to maintain a consistent amount. I quickly change to using a small rifle primer with the anvil removed. It makes a very energetic cap. I could reduce the amount of compound somewhat and still have a good primer. Just haven't come up with a replacement so far.
Rub your primer cup measure on a sharpening stone or fine sandpaper. It shortens it right up.

Back