• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap and Ball Pistol Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmusic

Always a Newbie
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently posted about two jamming incidents but I also want to talk about accuracy and how to handle the gun. I took my Pietta 1851 Colt Navy to the range today today and fired off 15 rounds at 7 yards. I am using 15 gr. fffg powder, a Wonder Wad and .375 swaged balls. My POA was a six o'clock hold on the center of the target, a silhouette, and managed to get a fair group of six inches (I am a nooby with C&B) but it was left of the POA by about 2 inches. I was using a two hand hold. I noticed that the second knuckle of my trigger finger was actually pushing the gun left as i squeezed which may account for the left of center shots. Any suggestions out there about how to hold this pistol so my knuckle isn't resting on the frame?

Might try a set of wolf springs and research a variety of pistol grips. Every grip is different. If you get a chance try handling the same exact two weapons : see if you can tell the difference. I like the wolf custom springs and polished internal parts. Patience.
Blackie Thomas has a you tube video, if you haven't checked it out, give it a shot. It might be of help, especially for the colts.

I have recently posted about two jamming incidents but I also want to talk about accuracy and how to handle the gun. I took my Pietta 1851 Colt Navy to the range today today and fired off 15 rounds at 7 yards. I am using 15 gr. fffg powder, a Wonder Wad and .375 swaged balls. My POA was a six o'clock hold on the center of the target, a silhouette, and managed to get a fair group of six inches (I am a nooby with C&B) but it was left of the POA by about 2 inches. I was using a two hand hold. I noticed that the second knuckle of my trigger finger was actually pushing the gun left as i squeezed which may account for the left of center shots. Any suggestions out there about how to hold this pistol so my knuckle isn't resting on the frame?
I am not what you call a seasoned cap and ball shooter, but to make mine shoot well I use a snuggle up method. Place your trigger hand up as high as you can, and your wrist straight. The web of your thumb will be against the hammer. I do not shoot two handed as all the matches I ever entered would not allow two hands. At 25 yards a decent 44 cal pistol should place shots inside of a 50 cent piece, maybe even a quarter. I don't have a caliber of your size to give you a closer comparison.
Larry

Follow his advice and your groups will do two things, they will drop in elevation and shrink. Also grip the pistol as firmly as you can.

Good pistol shooting is something that requires a LOT of practice and MORE practice. Once you get the fundamentals down such as trigger control, breath control, muscles control, grip, sight alignment and PRACTICE then you will start to become a better pistol shot. P.S. start at a close distance say 33 feet and go to 25 yards when you can keep ALL your shots in a 3 inch circle. Then shoot at 25 yards and when you can keep ALL your shot in that same 3 inch circle move on to 50 yards hopefully by this time you will manage very good scores at both 25 and 50 yards ;) :thumb:

Back