• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap an Ball Pistol Issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo40

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got an old Hawes cap an ball, shoots great but has a small mechanical issue, when pulling the hammer back the bolt drops then immediately comes back up an drags on the cylinder, leaving a nice shiny mark all around the circumference. Also does not allow it to be rotated while at half cock so loading is tricky unless you remove the cylinder. Can someone that has played with these tell me how to fix this. Thanks.
Chris

The inner leg of the bolt rides on the cam on the hammer. It is supposed to stay there until the hammer cam rises up after passing the halfcock position and releases it. Due to a worn bolt or cam or both, yours is releasing before it gets to the right point. Usually I try replacing the bolt first (it will need some fitting) though if the cam appears very worn I will go ahead and replace it too (which normally means replacing the hammer.

There are several good books on single action mechanics if you want to do it yourself. An internet search for tuning SA revolvers might also pull up some guides to help you do it.

Exactly, you can buy a replacement bolt and the legs can be moved a bit to alter when the leg slides off the cam- which causes the bolt to pop up. The cam is pretty substantial- usually the trouble is the leg on the bolt.

It may take some doing to find the part you need. I would start with Dixie Gun Works. Geo. T.

I second Dixie Gun Works. Have bought a lot of parts off them over the years. If they were out you could try Numrich (GunPartsCo out of new york state) as they stock some Uberti parts. Shouldn't be too hard to find a bolt.

Latest posts

Back