• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with 1851 Navy mechanical issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majorsideburns

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I know it's hard to diagnose issues without seeing the problem in person, but does anyone here have any thoughts on where I can start with a binding issue on my Pietta 1851 .44? The problem is as follows: while dry cycling it unloaded, every so often after the hammer is down and I go to recock it, I am unable to pull the hammer back the entire action is frozen and locked and stuck. This somewhat fixes itself after I release tension on the hammer and try again. This happens on random chambers of the cylinder, and the cylinder spins freely in halfcock. I am pretty sure it is a fitment issue with internals but am not knowledgeable enough in how the action works to fix it. I did notice that tightening down the screw of the trigger and bolt leaf spring really hard reduced the frequency of the problem somewhat. I also noticed that when I have the barrel and cylinder off, the problem is non-existent. I am sure the issue is probably not too complex and a little filing would cure it but I just don't know how the pieces work together well enough to diagnose this. Any thoughts from you all? Have you had a similar issue?

It sounds like an issue with the bolt and cam. The action is not resetting every time and the bolt stays up. Also the hammer has to fall past a certain point for the action to reset. If it fails to do that then the bolt keeps the cylinder locked and the hand can't turn it so you wouldn't be able to cock the gun.

You are right I think part of the issue is the hammer is not falling all the way forward, I have it in my hand and I was just fiddling with this and noticed when I am "wiggling" the hammer to try again and cock, there is a very slight "click" that happens as I push it forward again, then the action unlocks and I am able to cock it

That's a good start! The only problem is it doesn't cover "clearancing" the "reset cut" to allow reset. It's the crescent shaped cutout on the left bolt arm which is where the cam locates when the hammer is down. Your problem is, there is still too much material to allow the arm to easily move over the cam. That is the faint "click" you heard. I set the reset to happen when the hammer face breaks the plane of the recoil shield.
By the way, disregard the "test" on page 10. It's not necessary. Otherwise you'll have to remove material off the arbor just to be able to execute the test. Afterwards, you'll have even more slop than you started with!! Lol

Mike

Last edited:
Thank you all, I will give this a shot later this evening. You posted some really fantastic resources and information, I definitely will have my work cut out. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Latest posts

Back