• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1861 fluted cylinder ? issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubajunk

32 Cal
Reaction score
Maybe someone here has had this problem. So I recently bought what is supposedly a Uberti 1861 Navy fluted cylinder that over rotates and can be rotated by hand with the hammer at full cock. It appears that the fluting might have removed too much material from the locking bolt notch . Does anyone know how to remedy this issue.

Attachments

• UFC1.jpg
    UFC1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 3
  • UFC2.jpg
    UFC2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
Remove the bolt and see if it fits in all the notches

Do all the notches come out of lockup at full cock? It could be the bolt just needs a little stoning to fit squarely into the stop notches

Remove the barrel and liberally oil the action. Assembly lube/preservative sometimes gums things up.

Remove the bolt and see if it fits in all the notches

Do all the notches come out of lockup at full cock? It could be the bolt just needs a little stoning to fit squarely into the stop notches
Yes , you can put the hammer to full cock and completely rotate the cylinder all the way around. How ever there are no issues what so ever with the original engraved cylinder in place.

Vintovka .54 , That I couldn't honestly answer .No where on Uberti's site does it show that they offer a fluted 61 Navy cylinder however Cimarron Arms does offer them for sale . It was new in the packaged marked Uberti 61 Navy. PS Actually it is a newly made cylinder as is the revolver.

Attachments

• UFC3.jpg
    UFC3.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yes , you can put the hammer to full cock and completely rotate the cylinder all the way around. How ever there are no issues what so ever with the original engraved cylinder in place.
Obviously the cylinder is bad.

So you dropped in a cylinder you obtained as a separate part?

Like everyone says, send the cylinder back and either try a new one or get a refund

It's a shame. That would be a beautiful revolver with that full flute cylinder

Since 2019 strange stuff has been going on. Quality control on some items has apparently been sacrificed to meet production needs. I wonder if the proof marks on the bad cylinder match those on the pistol plus verifying its really an Uberti made product and not "for Uberti". I would send it back for a refund as an exchange may not work for you.

Obviously the cylinder is bad.

So you dropped in a cylinder you obtained as a separate part?

Like everyone says, send the cylinder back and either try a new one or get a refund

It's a shame. That would be a beautiful revolver with that full flute cylinder
Yes that is correct , I had hopes of pairing it up with a spare barrel shortened to 3 3/4 ". :confused:

Yes that is correct , I had hopes of pairing it up with a spare barrel shortened to 3 3/4 ". :confused:
If it were me I'd exchange for a new cylinder under the Proviso that I can return that one if it doesn't work either

Only because I've been searching for a full flute Uberti 1860 , all of the "Backordered " ones I had were changed to "unavailable " and so a full flute 1861 Navy is worth the gamble in my opinion

In fact now you got me thinking about a full flute 1851

Back