• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can't shoot lead balls all the time - what's better than paper wads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to YT and search "hot glue bullets". looks interesting and very doable
Good luck
Bunk

On reflection I would think some kind of sabot or you might wind up with a hard to clean bore
Hot glue melts with hot powder gas.
Bunk

How about VFG felt cleaning pellets? They come in many different bore sizes and fit tight in a bore but not too tight. They do have a small hole in the middle but I'm sure that they could be easily plugged with a bit of yarn. Being made of wool they won't set the grass on fire and you could easily get them soaked with your favorite lube if you want.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...ts/weapons-care-system-pellets-prod13839.aspx

Where I live I can't shoot lead balls (have to go to a range for that) because the neighbors are too close by. I do sometimes shoot "blanks" (powder with paper wad) but paper just doesn't create a good seal most of the time, and the charge kind of just goes "poof". I like a loud bang with some smoke. Has anyone shot cork or wood balls and, if so, how did that work out? And, for those who've had to use paper, what works best? Mine catches on fire a lot of the time so I have to be careful. Thanks.
So let me get this straight. You like to shoot every day but you don't have to shoot a projectile. You just like to make a loud bang noise with smoke. Do I have that straight? If I do, why?

I watched a 1-1/2 inch BP cannon fired using a hotdog bun rammed on top of the load. Forms a good seal and cannot be found after firing. No cleanup.
I would not use flour because it is an explosive when aerated.

I recently loaded 85g 2F in my T/C .50 Hawken and topped it off with a small piece of a rag that packed in nice and tight over the powder. From my back patio, I expected a loud "poof". What I got was a blast every bit as loud as a real RB load. I heard some interesting reactions from some neighbors and immediately went back into the house expecting the cops to come cruising through the neighborhood at any time. I know now exactly what I'll be doing New Year's Eve.

Do not use flammable materials, fires are bad.

Model rockets use non flammable between the parachute and engine separation. Must still be available
Yep it's called recovery wadding. Just bought some yesterday from hobby lobby for my son.
IMG_20201220_082221.jpg

I watched a 1-1/2 inch BP cannon fired using a hotdog bun rammed on top of the load. Forms a good seal and cannot be found after firing. No cleanup.
I would not use flour because it is an explosive when aerated.
I have an antique one inch cannon I have blank fired many times. Usually use 120 gr. 2Fg bp with no wadding and get a big bang. Will have to try the flour thing to see the explosive effect. Why not? o_O

Oh man ! I just came up with a great idea a few minutes ago when cleaning the lint from my clothes dryer screen.

I balled it up, ran in water and I had a 'lint ball' ! I'll keep 'em handy, and on new year's eve a little water and they will expand and be easy to load! Should work great for 'blank' loads!View attachment 55025
I wonder how well that would work under a revolver ball instead of a felt wad.

El Campus Vitus, who 60 years ago got me interested in muzzle loaders, used toilet paper and it worked quite well. Please remember that too much of anything is not good. Stuff a 12" long wad of toilet paper down a barrel and you have the makings of a great bore obstruction. I still see them marching down the street in their red shirts and black pants with black suspenders, blazing away at the sky. It was a grand sight and a great happy time.

A few years back, I marched in our July 4th parade with my club shooting holes in the sky. At long last, I was with those men of yore thrilling the children and hopefully inspiring at least one of them to think, "I gotta try that someday"

Latest posts

Back