• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can't shoot lead balls all the time - what's better than paper wads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I live I can't shoot lead balls (have to go to a range for that) because the neighbors are too close by. I do sometimes shoot "blanks" (powder with paper wad) but paper just doesn't create a good seal most of the time, and the charge kind of just goes "poof". I like a loud bang with some smoke. Has anyone shot cork or wood balls and, if so, how did that work out? And, for those who've had to use paper, what works best? Mine catches on fire a lot of the time so I have to be careful. Thanks.
The large size glue sticks are the perfect size for a 44-45 caliber.
Don't need to melt them or anything. Just cut to the length you desire.
I load 45 (suppositories) and shoot them from a (suppository pistol)
I can't see where they would function any differently in a revolver than a semi-auto....
One catch, the glue stick is so light that it will not cycle the gun, but in a revolver that wouldn't matter.
And with that - I am going to cut some for my 1858 Rem Pietta and shoot them the next time I go out....

Where I live I can't shoot lead balls (have to go to a range for that) because the neighbors are too close by. I do sometimes shoot "blanks" (powder with paper wad) but paper just doesn't create a good seal most of the time, and the charge kind of just goes "poof". I like a loud bang with some smoke. Has anyone shot cork or wood balls and, if so, how did that work out? And, for those who've had to use paper, what works best? Mine catches on fire a lot of the time so I have to be careful. Thanks.
Just put your regular load in, and pack it down hard with or without some sort of wad on top. If the powder is loose, it just goes 'poof' more or less. Stomp it down.

Lubed felt wads.

The same thing I use under my round balls in the 1858 at the range, but without the lead round ball. The wad will come out as a projectile but does not carry much energy and they fall harmlessly after being shot into the air.

I have .54 felt wads I use in my Kentucky pistol as well. If unlubed, they smell like burning hair. :oops:

-Jake

I got my first flint(musket) for Christmas, in northern Vt. Went straight to the back porch and rattled the neighborhood, blasting the huge icicles from the roof edge w/ the concussions.
It was a more forgiving time and place, but my folks probably had some feathers to settle.

I don't get it. Somebody tell me why you all shoot blanks in flintlocks or otherwise. Please.
part of the fun of learning to shoot with flint is getting the ignition right - trying different flint material, different shapes, orientations in the jaw, etc. It's fun to practice even if you're not shooting a projectile at a target.

part of the fun of learning to shoot with flint is getting the ignition right - trying different flint material, different shapes, orientations in the jaw, etc. It's fun to practice even if you're not shooting a projectile at a target.
I shoot flintlocks too, but never thought about shooting blanks.

Yeah, I miss the freedom to shoot pretty much anywhere. It was one of the first things I did when I went to school there (I grew up on the E Coast). We were allowed to keep our guns in the dorms back then

I kept a rifle in my locker in wood shop. Left a bottle of Chiante wine in the locker and the teacher found it. You would have thought I shot the Pope!

And they kept the Chiante!!

LOL -- Yeah, but I'm talking around 35 years ago though...you could walk across the road from my dorm and it was as easy to buy a pair of jeans as it was any firearm they had for sale.

Whoa! You got me there...! Have a great Christmas or whatever holiday you celebrate or, if you don't celebrate one, stay happy and healthy!

Back