• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can't seem to get the tumbler off a L&R bailes/manton lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper1993

40 Cal
Reaction score
i've used 1/16th punch in the center hole and a punch on all corners of the square. I'm using a brass hammer and a wooden mallet. Nothing seems to knock this out. Is there a unique way of getting the tumbler out of L&R locks or am I not using enough force?
1657717770273.png
1657717420145.png

I wouldn't use a center punch in the hole, it may screw up the threads. Try to use something that is close to square as possible to cover as much of the tumbler/hammer hole as possible without going over it. Then give a sharp blow with a hammer and it should come out. Oil would help also as mentioned above.

You won't get it with a 1/16" punch, can't transfer enough energy.

I just took an L&R Classic apart using an old snapped off 7/64" drill bit, chuck end down in the hole. This fits the hole and doesn't pose any risk to the threads. About 4 light taps with my small short handled ball peen hammer I use for chiseling wood and it came right out no problem.

You do have to have them on a solid base not held in your hand, and you need space for the tumbler to move and fall out. I span the tumbler with two blocks of hardwood held up against the sides of the tumbler.

I find hitting the square with a square punch does more damage to the tumbler and the cock than driving it out using the hole, which doesnt harm it if you use the right tools.

A brass punch, ground square to fit the hole. Something solid to brace the plate. I use a 1” socket, held in a vise. Voila, the tumbler drops in the socket.
You will not damage the threads, or the square, and I’ve NEVER found one that wouldn’t come off with a gentle tap.
The manufacturers, say to NEVER use a punch, for fear of doing damage to the tumbler.

Don't put any punches in the screw hole. If the hole is deep and the metal thin, you might break the bottom out of the hard metal. Always punch on the end of the tumbler shaft. I use a roll pin punch that just fits the hole in the hammer. A square punch might work better, but I have a roll pin punch on hand. Most tumblers will pop off with a medium tap on the punch. I lay the lockplate on the slightly open jaws of my vise with a towel laid in the gap to cach the tumbler.

I just popped the tumbler out of the hammer on an 1864 Colt Contract lock yesterday. Quite a tight fit and patina all over.

I let it soak in Kroil overnight. I then used a steel flat-end cylindrical punch that just circumscribed the square cavity of the hammer hole. So my punch did not go down into the screw hole. I supported the lockplate in my bench vice, with the jaws open just enough to clear the tumbler and the boss for the mainspring. Gave it some good taps. Nothing.

Then I used my blowtorch to gently heat the hammer. By "gently", I mean I evenly heated the boss of the hammer, trying to avoid hitting the tumbler shank with the flame. I only got it about hot enough that I could not touch the hammer for every long. You don't want to draw the temper out of the parts.

I then gave the tumbler shank another tap with the punch. Popped right out.

If that did not work, my next trick would have been to put an ice cube on the tumbler to chill it after heating the hammer boss.

Back