• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner lock, removing cock from tumbler problem.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been trying to remove the cock from the tumbler on the lock from my Woodsrunner with no luck. I have placed the lock plate on two parallel bars. One on either side of the tumbler and have been trying to drive the tumbler out using a brass rod and a ball peen hammer. I have been unable to get it to move in the slightest. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Never having disassembled a lock before, after I removed the hammer screw on my Traditions Kentucky percussion pistol's lock, I spent hours running all over town looking for a large enough square driver. Dummy!! Do a little research first!! After I stumbled across a thread posted here about separating a hammer from a tumbler it took me about two minutes (using the "bigger hammer method" mentioned above).

I gave up on my Colonial in fear I would bend/damage the plate….it wouldn’t budge at all! I just worked around hammer with my polishing(removal of machining marks) job and it worked out fine…..

Once you get all the internals removed obviously less the tumbler go out in your garage and find a socket from your socket set assuming you have one and find a socket that surrounds the tumbler. I use a transfer punch with a ball end though a flat punch will work so long as it will fit inside the lock hex; I think 1/4 inch is okay but obviously check you don’t want to mar the hex in the lock and at the same time not mar the threads in the tumbler. Or simply use the lock screw well threaded leaving a few threads exposed. Place on a solid surface and use a mallet a hammer will mar the lock screw! A few taps back out the screw another few taps. At that point you’ll probably be able to pull the lock off. The lock plate can flex the socket provides even support. I’m no expert but I’ve taken a number of locks apart as explained and never had any problems.

I have been trying to remove the cock from the tumbler on the lock from my Woodsrunner with no luck. I have placed the lock plate on two parallel bars. One on either side of the tumbler and have been trying to drive the tumbler out using a brass rod and a ball peen hammer. I have been unable to get it to move in the slightest. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I don’t have a Woodsrunner (yet) is it not the same lock as the Colonial? It just has nice tight tolerances a few disassemblies and it will loosen up; though no real reason to remove the cock after polishing.

Back