• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner lock, removing cock from tumbler problem.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning and greasing. Otherwise if you shoot it a lot, you might be removing the cock to fit a bushing into the lock plate.
That’s a lot of shooting and I have one of those. I just oil all of mine though I have no real time to wear out a lock on any of them. I do have a flinter whose lock nicely engraved required a bushing. The rifle was built in1980 according to the engraving on the barrel by the fella who built it. I had to purchase the rebuild kit from Track or Dixie I forget which. I think it came with a tumbler, bushing brass, and a fly. Surprisingly the guy i had install the brass bushing did a great job. It’s a small Siler lock. I don’t remember if it is a L&R or Chambers. All I did was drill the plate. I bought the gun from a older than me guy off gun broker. He supposedly had it built. He didn’t tell me the lock was warn. The barrel is fine for all the shooting it’s seen. You could cock it and it would hold but if you blew on the trigger it would fire! 😂 I was able to find the lock at Dixie and used that until I got the lock professionally repaired. I replaced the touch hole; the one that came with the rifle you could drive a small truck through. I don’t know what it is about this rifle but it is close to my favorite. I don’t shoot it as much but it’s a fine shooter and the ignition is perfect.
IMG_0471.jpeg
IMG_0476.jpeg
IMG_0473.jpeg
IMG_0475.jpeg
IMG_0474.jpeg

As already mentioned the best and safest way to separate the hammer from the tumbler is to find a socket that fits the tumbler without touching it, place the socket on a vise or hard surface, the take a square end punch that fits inside the hammer hole and give it a good tap. I made my square punch from 1/4” square stock and filed a taper to fit without touching.

I think I purchased my punches on Amazon “TEKTON” they come with flat punches and center punches but instead of a point the transfer punches have a sphere or ball at the end. This way you can use a 7/32 instead of 1/4 inch and not mar the threads on the tumbler and it won’t mar the hex on the lock. That in combination with a socket; I’ve been using a 22 mm and the anvil surface of your vice your done. Yes bench is a mess!
Just get the roll punches $32 if able. Price has gone way up on everything
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
I think I purchased my punches on Amazon “TEKTON” they come with flat punches and center punches but instead of a point the transfer punches have a sphere or ball at the end. This way you can use a 7/32 instead of 1/4 inch and not mar the threads on the tumbler and it won’t mar the hex on the lock. That in combination with a socket; I’ve been using a 22 mm and the anvil surface of your vice your done. Yes bench is a mess!View attachment 228237View attachment 228238View attachment 228238

Back