• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Canoe Gun" - Pot stirring warning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
saw this pix of a "canoe gun" when looking up a service cost

Canoe-Gun.jpg

haven't called yet for details...

just like some have a 'target rifle' for shooting targets
others have a 'deer rifle' for hunting deer
could it be that this 'canoe gun' is used for dispatching canoes?
I was at a rendezvous. We had a canoe shoot. A timed corse where one had to shoot targets on the bank and reload in the canoe. I took a pistol to save a nick of time as it would cut out one reload
Pistol hammer got caught on my bag strap went past half cock but not to full cock. Then slipped off as I was getting in to the canoe.
Shot a hole in the bottom
I was ‘Canoe Killer’ for some years to come

Guy had one for sale here last month for only $400.00 I hate myself for not grabbing it. I tried to sell my cap lock in excellent shape for more and wouldnt take less. Those are NICE

I actually would put an aperture sight on it - and hunt with it. I like hunting guns that use historically correct but rare elements in combinations that suit me. So if your going with a "canoe gun" that seems like a good time for the aperture too.
Also - my eyes dont handle the open sights so well.

I, myself, have wondered what the difference was between a canoe gun and a carbine. Generally speaking, a carbine is a lighter, shorter barrel version of a rifle and was typically used by artillery/cavalry..they needing something light and handy as they had other things going on where a full sized rifle was an inconvenience. I have also seen that, while I could find no historical context, a canoe gun is a short barreled version of a smoothbore used for hunting seated from a canoe and either designed or modified for ease of loading and aiming while seated in such conveyance. In the same vein as the breech loading short barreled shotgun, the "coach gun", of the stagecoach era.

While the word carbine has a long historical context, that being a short barreled rifle, canoe gun does not. Also the term "gun" seemed to be used frequently for smoothbores and rifles/carbines for, of course, rifled arms....but the use of gun wasn't always necessarily a category of arm, rather the generic name applied to small arms. It was certainly easy when all you had was one and somebody said "Get the gun". Not much confusion on what to get.

Last edited:
The firearm pictured is full stocked carbine...... an early pre "mannlicher stocked" carbine...a carbine ahead of its time!

But if you own it, you can call it anything you damn well please. I know I would.

Last edited:
I was at a rendezvous. We had a canoe shoot. A timed corse where one had to shoot targets on the bank and reload in the canoe. I took a pistol to save a nick of time as it would cut out one reload
Pistol hammer got caught on my bag strap went past half cock but not to full cock. Then slipped off as I was getting in to the canoe.
Shot a hole in the bottom
I was ‘Canoe Killer’ for some years to come
Reminds me of a Patrick McManus title, "They shoot canoes, don't they?"

Back