• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannon Shoot, 9 July

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On the 4th of July, I hauled out the cannon to fire off a few blank rounds on the front lawn for the neighbors.  

P7040062.jpg

My daughters had been after me for some time to go and shoot the gun for real as they both had fond childhood memories of being picked up at their grade school by me in a 1989 Jeep Cherokee towing a trailer with three quarters of a ton of cannon on it.  The last time we had fired the big gun with cannon balls was in 1993.  She was 8 and her sister was 4 (they are both now in their 20’s).

I built the gun in 1970 when I was a junior in high school.  For two years I fired it at every football game.  The intent was to fire it every time we made a touchdown.  However, we didn’t have a very good team at the small private high school I attended, so I would fire the gun any time any body got a touchdown!  Everybody enjoyed it.  

As a side note, imagine how the world has changed in the last 40 years.  I used to show up at my high school football games towing a home made trailer carrying a full size cannon and a caisson with 50 pounds of black powder.  And no one even thought about calling the bomb squad.

At any rate, it took a lot more effort to get ready for a live fire event than I remembered.  Refurbish the gun, refurbish the gun trailer, prepare powder charges, cast cannon balls, build a target, etc., etc., and then con a bunch of my friends to help move and serve the gun.

Powder charges:

CannonShoot11.jpg

Cast Zinc Cannon balls:

CannonBallMold4.jpg

CannonShoot10.jpg

Get the gun to the range and set it up:

CannonShoot1.jpg

Build and set up a target:

CannonShoot7.jpg

Teaching a neighbor lad how to worm and swab the gun:

CannonShoot4.jpg

My daughter and I discussing the fine art of aiming an artillery piece:

CannonShoot6.jpg

CannonShoot2.jpg

Friends and neighbors get a chance to fire a cannon:

CannonShoot3.jpg

CannonShoot5.jpg

Out of the first 12 rounds fired at a 250 yard target (48 inch black) 8 hit the target and four were near misses (one hit was on a bounce from a shot that was short).  The cast zinc ball has way too much windage and I am modifying the ball mold to get a much better fit.  We should be able to keep all the rounds in a 4 foot bull at this range.

CannonShoot8.jpg

CannonShoot9.jpg

After the close range shooting, we were picking out targets at 600 yards and beyond on the range and did fairly well.  All in all, a very fun day.  It took four hours but we fired 32 round shot and a heck of a lot of black powder.

SWEET!
You did a great job!
Looks like you had fun!
:hatsoff: :thumbsup:
SC45-70

Wow, that is ccol! I fairly certain that if I fired that off in my front yard with a blank it would take about 30 second for the cops to show up and take me away.... :rotf:

That is great that you can do stuff like that!

Latest posts

Back