• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cannon finish question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stove black is what my uncle told me to use but I want to go with something a little more flashy. I didn't get any response on my question about nickel plating it. Would this be an option? Would it stand up to the heat and be durable?

Nickle plating is quite resistant to corrosion but if the surface preparation is not done correctly, it is prone to chipping.

You will need to use a company that has a lot of experience with the process to avoid problems.

It can also be fairly expensive.

Do you think so? I wanted it to look Purdy but I'm now leaning in that direction. Either stove black or gloss. I really don't know yet. I'll probably end up painting it but I don't know how to decide.

I don't know the size of your cannon but if it was on average 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 20 inches long it would have a outside surface area of about 157 square inches.

Just looking around the net, nickle plating costs anywhere from $0.40 to $1.00 per square inch.

That would make the cost of nickle plating somewhere between $ 63.00 and $157.00, assuming you can find a plating shop that will do the job.

A can of Krylon BBQ & Stove Black paint costs about $6.00. :hmm:

I knew the cost of nickel plating would be high. I found a guy about 20 miles from me that does it. I've decided to go with stove black for now. I can always go back and have it plated down the road if I decide.

Back