• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannon ball fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
Do cannon balls leave a shaved ring of lead like a Colt or Remington revolver when you load it or does the ball roll down the barrel like you see in movies etc?
Just curious !

Cannon ball are generally made of iron, and run as much as a 1/4 inch smaller than the bore.
Cannon are loaded horizontally. And the ball won’t roll down the bore, or at least not solidly as needed to be safe to fire, but has to be pushed.
Some sort of wad had to be loaded first and then usually a wad on top.
Often ball was set on a wad in the casson, often made of wood.
Rifle guns from the end of ml times had an expanding brass or copper ring that fit in to the rifeling doing the work of a skirt on a minie.
Ships used solid shot a lot. And on a battlefield ball would be shot at long range, however the typical shot in a cannon on a battle filed was case, loose small shot in a bag or can called canister
This is sometimes called grape, but grape was a little different than case and canister just in degree.
Grape was usually aboard ship and tge shot was bigger. Ships generally had larger guns than field.
During the revolution field guns were generally in the four pound range, small vessels six to twelve pounds and big war ships eighteen, twenty four, thirty twos and some forty eights though that was going out of style. So they had more room for bigger small balls for cannon shot.

Thanks for the info … I happened to see a bit of a pirate movie and it prompted my thinking then I thought about loading revolvers which led to my question. Thanks again.

Anything that tight would make it a pipe bomb. You must have “windage”, thats wiggle room. Theres a standard formula i cant recall right now but for example a 3 pounder runs 2.91 inches and the correct ball is 2.84.

Latest posts

Back