• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

candle lantern?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 10 years ago while surfing the net for candle lanterns I can across a merchant selling four sided wooden frame candle lanterns which were listed something like this:

Basic Lantern No Mirrors - $15.00
Lantern with One Mirror - $16.00
Lantern with Two Mirrors - $17.00
Lantern with Three Mirrors - $25.00
Lantern with Four Mirrors - $100.00 (note special order see below)

Upon scrolling to the bottom of the page I found the following Note: Believe it or not I've actually received several orders for this product.

The prices I listed above are just my recollection of the relative pricing on the page for lanterns as is the note. It was good for a laugh.

Well, if it was me holding the camera, it would be that I shot the photo while falling to the deck after too many mugs of Rum Punch! :haha:

One of the cool things about wooden lanterns, is when they get soaked with beeswax and the owner doesn't clean 'em and fails to pay attention to the lit candle, and they go up..., bright enough to signal passing airliners! :grin:

LD

Just read this post (hence the delay)
My copy of 14th century copper lantern with horn fronted door panel (the original held in Museum of London)
hornlantern001.jpg

hornlantern003.jpg

(Pete)

No soldered seam ,just a folded joint ,as for light I found the best light was given with the door open,
(indoors) Its my belief that the door was only closed for outdoor use due to overheating,on the originals I inspected there were tell-tell signs of burn marks on the horn door panel.I also found the same thing would happen if used with the door closed.(on a positive note the heat given off makes a great hand warmer.)
As you can see from the picture the door is open
when use indoors

lanterncrecy1-1.jpg

(Pete)

Hit the junk shops and flea markets and antique malls Ive seen some nice ones for 5 to 20 bucks.The twenty dollar one I saw was a pierced barn lantern like I got from G Gedney Gowin years ago and still use.

I have one of the "pierced tin" candle lanterns that puts out quite a bit of light.

I've got a couple of the bronze colored ones from Crazy Crow. They're OK, but they're not really made to take a taper candle, so it requires some tweaking to make them fit. I have no idea if votive/pillar candles are remotely appropriate for what I'm trying to portray either, which adds to the difficulty with these lanterns.

Of course, one was a Christmas gift from my wife, and the other a Christmas gift from my father. Yeah...they ain't going anywhere ;)

This is my pierced tin candle lantern I really do not recall the era they date to but I am thinking it is at least to the mid 18th century. Others may clarify that, this one is 5"x12" and really puts out a surprising amount of light thru the holes. I found it to be more "stuff" that even with a haversack, market wallet, and snapsack, I could see how usefull a packhorse or mule would have been in the past.

dec29001-1.jpg

I have one of those pierced tin lanterns. It does give off a good bit of light. I've found that when I close the door, heat really builds up and the candle melts and burns more quickly than normal. A candle used in an open candle holder lasts longer for me than if I take the same candle and put it inside the lantern. :idunno:

I still like the lantern.

Yeah theyll eat a candle in warm weather :cursing: In my tent I use a candle holder cause I have to read before turning in.The pierced one throws enough light to not bump into or step on things but I have a hard time reading by it.They do throw a beautiful pattern.

I like the four pane design...real nice. I wonder if you could replace one of the glass panes with a mirror to give more light. Kind of like having two candles with out doubling the heat.

Back