• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

candle lantern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its essential to cut the Candle down so it doesnt charr or get to burn the uppermost wooden surface, understandably a well fitted Candle holder base is an absolute necessity.
I’ve gone over to heaven forbid, battery powered tea lights that flickered like candles for indoor tent use. Out of sight to public view. It much safer especially for folks who like to enjoy a number of adult beverages around the fire. I too have had wax fires in candle lanterns. Luckily in a lantern hanging from a steel lantern post in front of my lodge. No open flames in my tents, in a lantern or not. BJH

In my older lanterns I used a mason jar lid with a wood screw through lid into candle. I upgraded to a 3/4" wooden base drilled out to take a glass candle holder. It's not period correct but is a lot more stable and holds candle tight. The entire base is removeable.

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Its essential to cut the Candle down so it doesnt charr or get to burn the uppermost wooden surface, understandably a well fitted Candle holder base is an absolute necessity.
My lantern caught fire because the candle had burned down to make a puddle with a wick in it. I caught it in time to save it. Charred some but still usable.

My lantern caught fire because the candle had burned down to make a puddle with a wick in it. I caught it in time to save it. Charred some but still usable.
That’s what happened with mine. Maybe I’m over cautious but I won’t have a candle inside my lodge after that.

Very nice! I love lanterns, have a bit of a collection going on myself, I think 7 or 8 at the last count. All but one are tin, and bought from a nice merchant because I don't have near the skill to do em.

That’s what happened with mine. Maybe I’m over cautious but I won’t have a candle inside my lodge after that.
It is not so much about the use of a candle, but more about how it is used and managed. You will find very few original wood candle lanterns. Most were of tinned sheet iron for a reason. Wood lanterns are relatively safe even inside a tent, BUT, they must be used with common sense precautions and vigilance inside or out.

It is not so much about the use of a candle, but more about how it is used and managed. You will find very few original wood candle lanterns. Most were of tinned sheet iron for a reason. Wood lanterns are relatively safe even inside a tent, BUT, they must be used with common sense precautions and vigilance inside or out.
I agree in a way. But I know the level of my incompetence at bedtime. 🙃

candle lantern I paterrned after barn lantern.
VNVvoo8.jpg
Very cool !! We always called the wooden lanterns " barn burners " , LOL ....but just gotta be careful with em ..Here's some I made back when I was a tinsmith / lantern maker . Love the ole colonial lanterns ...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1705800590530.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705800590530.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1705800627019.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705800627019.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1705800608495.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705800608495.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1705800573421.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705800573421.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1705800620520.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705800620520.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
Rob, is there no end to your talents? :cool:
Wow ! ... Thats a very kind thing to say .Thank you Sir . I really enjoyed making lanterns . I was intrigued by trade guns at the time but was married and like to build the lantern so my wife and I could work together . After she ran off I dropped the lantern work and started tinkering with my beloved smoothbore trade guns .

Last edited:
Very cool !! We always called the wooden lanterns " barn burners " , LOL ....but just gotta be careful with em ..Here's some I made back when I was a tinsmith / lantern maker . Love the ole colonial lanterns ...
Wow bud those are are pretty awsome you need to move to gods country
you and me could do a lot of good stuff hear .😉

Wow bud those are are pretty awsome you need to move to gods country
you and me could do a lot of good stuff hear .😉
LOL ... Thanks bud . I dont make em anymore , sold all the sheet metal , tinsmith tooling etc. They were neat for awhile , long while . I sold some to the studio that made Pirates of the Caribbeans too , the second movie I believe but wouldn't swear the it . She said shed get some pics of the actors holding them but she never did ,that would've been great . Neat stuff ... I gave one as a gift to Hershel House years ago , he seemed to really like it .He sent me a great forged spoon ,fork combo he made to me as a thank you . Sure made me happy , someone I really admire makin a thank you present for me . :)

Attachments

• IMG_20240121_142644.jpg
    IMG_20240121_142644.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
LOL ... Thanks bud . I dont make em anymore , sold all the sheet metal , tinsmith tooling etc. They were neat for awhile , long while . I sold some to the studio that made Pirates of the Caribbeans too , the second movie I believe but wouldn't swear the it . She said shed get some pics of the actors holding them but she never did ,that would've been great . Neat stuff ... I gave one as a gift to Hershel House years ago , he seemed to really like it .He sent me a great forged spoon ,fork combo he made to me as a thank you . Sure made me happy , someone I really admire makin a thank you present for me . :)
Wow that’s pretty cool you got em hung where every one can admire em

Wow that’s pretty cool you got em hung where every one can admire em
Ive got a few I made for myself in the house , if thats what ya mean. The ones used in the movie they kept , of course ....they paid for them. Oh !! Ya mean the forged spoon and fork ....just hangin there with the pots and pans an such , ready for being used ....

Attachments

• IMG_20240121_145854.jpg
    IMG_20240121_145854.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Rob I like your pot hanger. My kitchen is too small for one, and I don't have enough hair on top anymore. It hurts like heck when I bump my head!
I bet my kitchen is smaller than yours ! My house I built is 16x24 so the kitchen is about 8 x 10 ! LOL ! :D

Latest posts

Back