• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

candle lantern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
candle lantern I paterrned after barn lantern.
VNVvoo8.jpg

Very nice. I think you will need larger vent holes in the top.

Dave
I have a 1/4" hole drilled in 4 corners of bottom for added draft. Also a 1/8" spacer under each corner to rase bottom above flat surfaces. Before I did these mods, the flame would dim when I closed the door. Works fine now.

You built this freehand? Very well done. I have long been intrigued by these and the kits have been around forever. I should sit down and think one out one of these days. They are just so handsome and seem so practical, especially if one makes one's own traditional candles, also on the list.
Yes built free hand. Saw a picture and used it as a guide. Made about a dozen of them and gave most of them to family. No two are exactly alike. They are handy when the lights go out.

Just curious...it looks like the vent holes are drilled/punched down into the lantern. Is that correct? I'm mentioning it because I was taught years ago that the punches should always go to the outside. The thought is the punch going inward will act like a funnel, allowing wind and breezes into the candle lantern; potentially blowing your light out when you need it the most. Not sure if that's more than an old wive's tale but it does make a certain amount of sense. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Whatever the case, you made a nice lantern there.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Don't leave a wooden and glass lantern unattended. Fire hazard is high if the candle falls out of the candle holder and leans against the wood frame. Saw a primative camp tent burn up due to this initentiveness.
My wood lantern caught fire twice before I learned, but I never used them inside the tent. I had tin lanterns for inside.

Just curious...it looks like the vent holes are drilled/punched down into the lantern. Is that correct? I'm mentioning it because I was taught years ago that the punches should always go to the outside. The thought is the punch going inward will act like a funnel, allowing wind and breezes into the candle lantern; potentially blowing your light out when you need it the most. Not sure if that's more than an old wive's tale but it does make a certain amount of sense. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Whatever the case, you made a nice lantern there.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
On this lantern, yes hole punched inward. Other lanterns holes drilled. I haven't noticed any difference between the two. As far as fire hazard, I agree, never leave any open flame unattended.

Don't leave a wooden and glass lantern unattended. Fire hazard is high if the candle falls out of the candle holder and leans against the wood frame. Saw a primative camp tent burn up due to this initentiveness.

Saw one go up in flames at a rendezvous. Fortunately, it didn't catch the tent on fire.

Very nice work on yours! Nice holster and belt.

Most of us have, at least, a couple similar to that one. I would sell but packing and shipping these days is prohibitive. Some day my son will throw them in the dumpster.

Thankfully my 9 year old grandson loves old things as does his mother my daughter, he loves camping out and ML's so I'm focussed on building his addiction.

You built this freehand? Very well done. I have long been intrigued by these and the kits have been around forever. I should sit down and think one out one of these days. They are just so handsome and seem so practical, especially if one makes one's own traditional candles, also on the list.

Theyre really worth having believe me, I live off grid and keep 2 of my 4 Candle lanterns in the Cabin for immediate lighting if required, only had to use them twice in 4 years but hey they were on ready on hand.

My wood lantern caught fire twice before I learned, but I never used them inside the tent. I had tin lanterns for inside.

Its essential to cut the Candle down so it doesnt charr or get to burn the uppermost wooden surface, understandably a well fitted Candle holder base is an absolute necessity.

Its essential to cut the Candle down so it doesnt charr or get to burn the uppermost wooden surface, understandably a well fitted Candle holder base is an absolute necessity.
True, a candle to tall will overheat the top of lantern but also give off less light. You want the flame visible through all 4 windows.

Back